Why Does a=dB Imply ∫a=0 on Compact Manifolds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem in prop 19.5 of Taylor's PDE book, which states that if M is a compact, connected, oriented manifold of dimension n and a is an n-form, then a=dB where B is an n-1 form iff the ∫a over M is 0. The conversation then explores why this holds true, discussing closed manifolds and the Poincare-Hopf theorem. The conclusion is that while this holds for closed manifolds, it may not hold for all compact manifolds, and further clarification is needed from Taylor.
redrzewski
I'm looking at prop 19.5 of Taylor's PDE book.

The theorem is:

If M is a compact, connected, oriented manifold of dimension n, and a is an n-form, then a=dB where B is an n-1 form iff the ∫a over M is 0.

I'm trying to understand why a=dB implies ∫a = 0.
If M has no boundary, than this follows from Stokes theorem.

However, if M has a boundary, then it seems like this is a counterexample:
a = dx^dy, B=xdy, M=unit square in R^2

Here, ∫a = 1, and a=dB.

The general definitions of compact manifold I've found don't assume no boundary.

What am I missing?
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your analysis is impeccable. Usually, when ppl say manifold, they mean "without boundary". Find out what Taylor means by manifold.

I mean this with no patronisation intended, but you've answered your own question because in mathematics, a closed manifold is a special type of topological space, namely a compact manifold without boundary. In contexts where no boundary is possible, any compact manifold is a closed manifold.

That's a very nicely constructed counter-example, you clearly understand the concepts reasonably well.

Indeed, this only applies to closed manifolds. However, I'm sure that you can fix it by asserting something about the behaviour of the n-1 form at the boundary. E.g - if you assert that it vanishes to zero around some open neighbourhood of the boundary.

There's a theorem about fixed points, I think it's called the Poincare-Hopf theorem, which says that for a vector field on some manifold with finitely many zero vectors, the sum of the indices of the fixed points is equal to the Euler characteristic of the surface, but if it has a boundary you need to make sure that all the vectors are outward pointing there. Perhaps there's something similar going on here. The suggestion I had above will definitely work though.

Thinking about it, what I said is rubbish, just making the thing vanish near the boundary won't help at all, as an adjustment to your construction would show. So I imagine you do have to do something more inline with what I said in my second paragraph.

kdbnlin78 said:
I mean this with no patronisation intended, but you've answered your own question because in mathematics, a closed manifold is a special type of topological space, namely a compact manifold without boundary. In contexts where no boundary is possible, any compact manifold is a closed manifold.
This is not one of those cases. If Taylor's claim is correct, his terminology is non-standard.

1. What is a compact manifold?

A compact manifold is a topological space that is locally homeomorphic to Euclidean space, and is also both Hausdorff and second-countable. In simpler terms, it is a space that looks locally like a flat surface, such as a sphere or a torus, and is also closed and finite in size.

2. How is a compact manifold different from a non-compact manifold?

A non-compact manifold is a topological space that is not closed and may have infinite size. This means that it does not have a finite boundary and can extend infinitely in all directions. A compact manifold, on the other hand, is closed and has a finite size, making it much more manageable for mathematical analysis.

3. What are some real-world examples of compact manifolds?

Some examples of compact manifolds in the real world include the Earth's surface, which is homeomorphic to a sphere, and a donut, which is homeomorphic to a torus. Other examples include a basketball, a globe, and a cylinder.

4. Can a compact manifold be non-orientable?

No, a compact manifold must be orientable. This means that there is a consistent way to assign a direction to each point on the surface. One way to visualize this is to imagine a continuous arrow on the surface that never points in the opposite direction. Non-orientable manifolds, on the other hand, have points where an arrow would have to point in the opposite direction.

5. Why are compact manifolds important in mathematics?

Compact manifolds are important in mathematics because they provide a framework for studying more complex spaces. They also have many useful properties that make them easier to work with, such as being locally Euclidean. Compact manifolds also have applications in physics and engineering, including in the study of fluid dynamics and the theory of relativity.