1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compact nested sequences

1. Jul 14, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone. I feel like I'm really close to the answer on this one, but just out of reach :) I hope someone can give me some pointers

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]A1 \supseteq A2 \supseteq A3 \supseteq \ldots [/tex] be a sequence of compact, nonempty subsets of a metric space [tex](X, d)[/tex]. Show that [tex] \bigcap A_n \neq \emptyset [/tex]. (Hint: Let [tex] U_n = X-A_n [/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried showing by contradiction.

Suppose [tex] \bigcap A_n = \emptyset [/tex]
    Choose an open subcover [tex] U_n = X-A_n [/tex] (that's supposed to be set minus but I don't know how to do \ in tex). Then [tex] \bigcup U_n = (X-A_1) \cup (X - A_2) \ldots = X - (\bigcap A_n) = X [/tex]

but where's the contradiction? So X is not compact, but that goes without saying and we can't infer much from that. What am I overlooking here? Or is this the wrong approach entirely?

Thank you for your assistance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

X may not be compact but A1 is. The U_n are a cover of A1 if you assume the intersection of all the Ai is empty. Hence there is a finite subcover. That seems headed for a contradiction.
  4. Jul 15, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your help, Dick. I was able to get the solution.

I have one more question on my current HW.
    Is a set [tex] A_n = [n, \infty) [/tex] open or closed in [tex] \mathbb{R} [/tex]? I would think so, but it's unbounded.
  5. Jul 15, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you think it would be?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?