Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compact Set in Metric Space

1. Oct 24, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

Here is my question while reading a proof.

For a compact set [tex] K [/tex] in a separable metrizable spce [tex] (E,\rho) [/tex] and a continuous function [tex] t \mapsto f(t) [/tex], if we define

[tex] D_{K} = \inf \{ t \geq 0 \; : \; f(t) \in K \}[/tex]

then, [tex] D_{K} \leq t [/tex] if and only if [tex] \inf\{ \rho(f(q),K) : q \in \mathbb{Q} \cap [0,t] \}[/tex] = 0

May someone shed some light on this? I do not understand it. Thanks very much.

Wayne

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2010 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

It's not really clear what the domain and codomain of your function f are.

4. Oct 25, 2010 #3
    Domain of [tex] f [/tex] is [tex] \mathbb{R}^{+} [/tex]
    Codomain of [tex] f [/tex] is [tex] \mathbb{R} [/tex]

5. Oct 25, 2010 #4

Landau

Science Advisor

Huh? Then I don't understand [itex]f(t)\in K[/itex]...

6. Oct 25, 2010 #5
    Oops...sorry, i misunderstood the term codomain. So codomain here should be [tex] E [/tex] as stated.

7. Oct 25, 2010 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If [tex] D_k \leq t[/tex] then [tex] f(D_k)\in K[/tex]. We can approximate [tex] D_k[/tex] with rational numbers, and because [tex] D_k \in [0,t][/tex] we can approximate [tex] D_k[/tex] with rational numbers in [tex] \mathbb{Q}\cap [0,t][/tex] If [tex] q_r[/tex] is such a sequence converging to [tex] D_k[/tex], the distance between [tex] f(q_r)[/tex] and [tex] f(D_k)[/tex] goes to zero, which means the distance between [tex]f(q_r)[/tex] and [tex]K[/tex] must go to zero. So the infimum of the distance between [tex] f(q)[/tex] and [tex]K[/tex] for [tex] q\in \mathbb{Q}\cap [0,t][/tex] must be zero because we just found a sequence for which the distance is arbitrarily small.

This is basically the direction [tex] D_k\leq t[/tex] implies the infimum is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?