1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compact sets and coverings

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that S = [0,1) is not compact by giving an closed cover of S that has no finite subcover.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that S is not compact because it is [STRIKE]an open[/STRIKE] not a closed set even though it is bounded.

But I am completely lost on the open cover part.

I understand an open cover is a union of open sets where S is a subset of the union...

But I appear to missing something very fundamental. If I picked (-1, 2) for the cover that is an open set and S is a subset of it's "trivial" union. Why doesn't that work?

<edit> OK, I understand it needs to work for every cover, that's why,
    but is (-1,2) a cover? <end edit>

If instead I had [0,1], that is closed and bounded so it is compact.
    What sort of sets would go into a cover for it?

Does anyone know some extremely elementary references for this?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(-1,2) is a cover. And it has a finite subcover. No problems there. Really big hint. What about (-1,1-1/n) for all n. Can you tell me why i) it is a cover and ii) why it has no finite subcover? And S ISN'T open.

4. Oct 30, 2009 #3
    Thanks, I believe I understand.

[STRIKE]I said it backwards ... S is closed and bounded on the Reals so it is compact.[/STRIKE]

The union of the open intervals U = (-1, 1-1/n) for all positive n, covers S.

That is, S is a subset of U.

But if one takes a finite subset of u, then the finite union F is the interval (-1, 1-1/f) where f is the last interval in F.

Since 1/f < 1 for every positive integer f S is not a subset of F.

Does that sound good?

5. Oct 30, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

S=[0,1) isn't compact either. You just proved it! It's bounded but neither open nor closed. It's 'closed' at one end and 'open' at the other. You understand the point perfectly. You could work on phrasing it a little better. It sounds like you mean U to be the set of intervals (-1,1-1/n). Then S is contained in the union of the U, not S is contained in U. So it's a cover. And a finite subcover would a set {(-1,1-1/n1),(-1,1-1/n2),...(-1,1-1/nk)}. Defining f=max(nk), then the union of that set is just (-1,1-1/f) and just as you say, 1/f<1.

6. Oct 30, 2009 #5
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook