Existence of sup/inf in compact sets

In summary, the theorem states that if K is compact then it is bounded and closed, and that for every element k in K there exists an M in R so that |k|<M. If K is finite, then it doesn't have a limit point, but it's trivial to prove the theorem for this. The supremum can be used to calculate that every epsilon neighborhood intersects K in some point other than s, which makes s a limit point of K.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Show if K contained in R is compact, then supK and inf K both exist and are elements of K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok we proved a theorem stating that if K is compact that means it is bounded and closed.

So if K is bounded that means that for every element k in K there exists an M in R so that,
|k|<M
which is equiv to:
-M<k<M
meaning for all k in K
k>-M and k<M and therefore K is bounded above AND below.
According to the axiom of completeness, that means that the supK and the infK exists.

Alright, this is where I get stuck, I know that the supK and infK are the limit points of K, and since we know that K is closed, they would be contained in K, but I don't know how to show that supK and infK are the limit points. Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, first of all, if K is finite, then it doesn't have a limit point; however, it's trivial to prove the theorem for this.

Let s be the sup. Then by definition every open ball centered at s contains a point in K. Can you construct a sequence of points in K converging to s from this?

so could I just say as epsilon approaches zero the epsilon-neighborhood (ball) around s gets smaller and smaller and thus s is a limit point of K, and since K is closed, it contains s? Then i can make a similar argument for the infK?

I think you have the right idea and just need that final step in order to make it precise. To do that, however, requires that you know exactly what definitions you are using for each concept. What definition are you using for the limit point?

well we have one definition and one theorem for the limit points. The first is x is a limit point of A if every epsilon neighborhood Ve(x) intersects the set A in some point other than x. The theorem states a point x is a limit point of A if and only if x=lim(a_n) for some sequence (a_n) contained in A satisfying a_n is unequal to x for all n.

Couldn't I just use the definition of the supremum and say that since supK is the LEAST upper bound, that would mean for any epsilon greater than zero, s-epsilon is an element in K (because then if it wasn't then s-epsilon would be the supremum). Which would mean that every epsilon neighborhood Ve(s) intersects the set K in some point other than s, which would make s a limit point of K. And since K is closed, s would be contained in K.

Yes. That's the reason I asked you about your definition of limit point. If that's what you're using, then you can just simply say that.

thanks so much for the help!

1. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is closed and bounded. It means that every sequence of points in the set has a convergent subsequence whose limit is also in the set.

2. How do you prove that a set is compact?

There are several ways to prove that a set is compact. One method is to show that the set is closed and bounded, which is equivalent to proving that every sequence in the set has a convergent subsequence. Another method is to use the Heine-Borel theorem, which states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

3. What is the significance of compact sets in analysis?

Compact sets are important in analysis because they have many useful properties that make them easier to work with. For example, compact sets are always closed and bounded, and they have the property that every open cover has a finite subcover. This makes them useful for proving the existence of limits and for proving the continuity of functions.

4. What is the supremum and infimum of a compact set?

The supremum of a compact set is the smallest upper bound of the set, and the infimum is the largest lower bound. In other words, the supremum is the maximum value that the set can attain, and the infimum is the minimum value.

5. Can a set be compact if it is not closed or bounded?

No, a set must be both closed and bounded to be considered compact. If a set is not closed, it means that it does not contain all of its limit points, and if it is not bounded, it means that it extends infinitely in at least one direction. Both of these properties are necessary for a set to be compact.