1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compact Sets/Function

1. Apr 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find an example of a set D[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R is compact but f-1(D) is not.

2. Relevant equations
    f-1(D) is the pre-image of f(D), not the inverse.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having trouble visualizing a function that would work for this scenario. Any clues would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Unless f is a map from D to itself, your notation doesn't make sense. The symbol f(D) implies that D is the domain, and f(D) is the image under f. The symbol f-1(D) implies that D is now the range.

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3
    Ok, I might have summarized the problem wrong. I'll write it word for word here:

Consider a function f:RR which is continuous on all of R. Find an example satisfying the following:
    D[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R is compact but f-1(D) is not.

5. Apr 17, 2014 #4

Mark44

The image of the sine function is the interval [-1, 1]. The inverse image of [-1, 1] is R. If we're talking about inverse image as opposed to function inverse (f-1), this should work. If you really do mean f-1 as the function inverse, then no, it won't work, as the sine function isn't one-to-one, so doesn't have an inverse that is a function.

6. Apr 17, 2014 #5
    Yes, it's talking about the inverse image, not the function inverse. I don't really see how f(D)=sin(D) would work though. If the question was to find a f(D)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]R where f(D) is compact but f-1(D) is not then I see how f(D)=sin(D) would work, because f(D)=[-1,1] is compact but f-1(D)=R is not (I think). Maybe I'm just understanding it wrong because I don't see how f(D)=sin(D) works.

7. Apr 17, 2014 #6

Mark44

No. You're getting all balled up in the notation and not understanding what it's supposed to mean. The problem is to find a function and a set D (NOT f(D)) that is compact, but the inverse image of D is not compact.

A number d ##\in## D provided that there exists a real number x for which sin(x) = d. Draw a picture with two sets, with x in one set and d in the other set (set D). That might be helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted