Proving Positive Distance between Disjoint Compact Sets in R^n

In summary, given two compact sets X and Y in R^n that are disjoint, there is a positive distance between the elements of these sets. This is because for the distance function d(x in X, y in Y): R^n X R^n -> R, there is a maximum and minimum value, and if the minimum value is zero, then the sets X and Y cannot be disjoint.
nicorette

Homework Statement

X and Y are compact sets in R^n that are disjoint. Then there must be positive distance between the elements of these sets.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since X and Y are compact , X X Y is compact. Then, for the distance function d(x in X, y in Y): R^n X R^n -> R, there is a maximum and a minimum.

I think this should be a sufficient proof, although I'm not really sure how exactly to show that X X Y is compact as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the right idea, but you haven't shown the minimum can't be zero. Have you? Do you need to show XxY is compact? Or it that something you already proved?

I don't know how to show the minimum can't be zero. So far as X x Y being compact, I just assumed, I don't know where to start for a proof

thanks a lot

Don't worry about proving XxY compact for the moment, concentrate on the first one. Suppose the distance is zero. How can that be?

1. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a mathematical space that is closed and bounded, meaning that all its limit points are contained within the set and the set has finite dimensions.

2. How do you determine if a set is compact?

To determine if a set is compact, you can use the Heine-Borel theorem, which states that a set in Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

3. What are some examples of compact sets?

Examples of compact sets include closed intervals on the real number line, closed disks in the Cartesian plane, and spheres in three-dimensional space.

4. What is the significance of compact sets in mathematics?

Compact sets play an important role in mathematical analysis and topology, as they have many useful properties and allow for the formulation of theorems such as the Extreme Value Theorem and the Heine-Cantor theorem.

5. How are compact sets used in real-world applications?

Compact sets have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where they are used to model and analyze physical systems, such as the motion of objects or the behavior of markets.