Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compact subset of R^n

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    I am struggling to prove the following: Let E be a compact nonempty subset of R^k and let delta = {d(x,y): x,y in E}. Show E contains points x_0,y_0 such that d(x_0,y_0)=delta.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
    Am I correct to guess that you meant the supremum

\Delta := \sup\{d(x,y)\;|\;x,y\in E\}\; ?

It is convenient to consider a function [itex]d:E\times E\to\mathbb{R}[/itex], and use some basic topological results, or their immediate consequences. For example: The Cartesian product of compact sets is a compact set. In metric spaces compact sets are sequentially compact. The distance function d is continuous. Continuous mappings map compact sets into compact sets. The Heine-Borel Theorem. Just put pieces together!
  4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    Yes, it is the supremum. I am using the fact that E is compact to show that there is a subsequence that converges in E. Then I'd want to say that the limit of d(x_n_j, y_n_j) is
    \Delta but not sure how to show it. We have not talked about continuous functions. We have only studied sequences so far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?