Exploring Compactified Dimensions: What Happens When 1D Curls Up?

• B
  • Thread starter bluecap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    1d 2d
In summary, when curling up a one-dimensional line in our three-dimensional world, it does not become two-dimensional. This is because it is not a property of the line itself, but an embedding in a higher-dimensional space. The behavior of particles in the curled up dimension depends on their wavelength, with smaller wavelengths behaving as in a 3D space, larger wavelengths behaving as in a 2D space, and everything in between being more complicated. In 10D string theory, 6 of the macroscopic dimensions are curled up into the Planck size, and there is no concept of multiple turns in this process. Curling up a dimension is not a process, it is either curled up or not. Therefore, the concept of objects
bluecap
When you curl 1 dimensional thing like a line.. won't it become 2D?

I'm trying to imagine how a compactified dimension in superstring theory actually look like in our world.

Let's take our 3D world and say the depth got compactifed or curl up to Planck length or a millimeter. What kind of bosons can you produce that can navigate the 1 millimeter curl up dimension? Would it also travel at speed of light?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
bluecap said:
When you curl 1 dimensional thing like a line.. won't it become 2D?
For large length scales it will become 0 D (it looks like a single point), for small length scales it stays 1D (you can only move forward and backward).
If you curl up a line in our three-dimensional world you will use the second dimension, but this is an embedding of the line in some other space - it is not a property of the line (curled or not) itself.
bluecap said:
What kind of bosons can you produce that can navigate the 1 millimeter curl up dimension? Would it also travel at speed of light?
In general, everything with wavelength much smaller than 1 mm will behave as in a regular 3-dimensional space, everything with a wavelength much larger will behave as in a 2D space, and everything in between is more complicated.

mfb said:
For large length scales it will become 0 D (it looks like a single point), for small length scales it stays 1D (you can only move forward and backward).

But if you curl the line, won't it become circular in small length scale so you don't just move forward and backward but in circle too?

If you curl up a line in our three-dimensional world you will use the second dimension, but this is an embedding of the line in some other space - it is not a property of the line (curled or not) itself.

In general, everything with wavelength much smaller than 1 mm will behave as in a regular 3-dimensional space, everything with a wavelength much larger will behave as in a 2D space, and everything in between is more complicated.

can the moduli field inside calabi-yau manifold able to affect us? Is there a mediator field where you can couple the moduli field with our large scale field like EM?

bluecap said:
But if you curl the line, won't it become circular in small length scale so you don't just move forward and backward but in circle too?
Can you move forward and backward (and sideward) on the surface of Earth?
Same concept. Sure, if you go 40,000 km in one direction you'll end up where you started, but that is very long compared to a typical walk.
bluecap said:
can the moduli field inside calabi-yau manifold able to affect us? Is there a mediator field where you can couple the moduli field with our large scale field like EM?
I don't understand that question.

Likes Jnan
mfb said:
Can you move forward and backward (and sideward) on the surface of Earth?
Same concept. Sure, if you go 40,000 km in one direction you'll end up where you started, but that is very long compared to a typical walk.

But the point is.. if you bend any 1D line.. it becomes 2D.. you may say at large length scale it becomes 0D.. while at small length scale.. it is same 1D.. but it's not the same.. because the line becomes curve (when you curl (or compactify it) so it becomes 2D. Gets?

Anyway. Any graphics to illustrate what it's like to compactify the dimension of depth in the 3D.

I don't understand that question.

bluecap said:
But the point is.. if you bend any 1D line.. it becomes 2D.
No it does not, that is the point. This is a statement about the geometry of the line, not of an embedding of the line in some higher-dimensional space. These are different things.

Likes bluecap
mfb said:
No it does not, that is the point. This is a statement about the geometry of the line, not of an embedding of the line in some higher-dimensional space. These are different things.

Ok. Got it. Anyway when a macroscopic dimension has size of say 1 light year.. how can you curl it into Planck size? how many turns of curling would there be?

Remember in 10D string theory 6 of the macroscopic dimensions curled up into Planck size.. so how many turns of packing it in or near Planck scale can you fit an infinite size dimension?

bluecap said:
Anyway when a macroscopic dimension has size of say 1 light year.. how can you curl it into Planck size? how many turns of curling would there be?
This is not a process. A dimension is either curled up or not.

Multiple turns are not a meaningful concept. See the surface of Earth as analog again: You can only go around the equator once before you reach your origin again. If you continue walking in the same direction, you just go along the same path again.

Likes bluecap
mfb said:
This is not a process. A dimension is either curled up or not.

Multiple turns are not a meaningful concept. See the surface of Earth as analog again: You can only go around the equator once before you reach your origin again. If you continue walking in the same direction, you just go along the same path again.

Let's say you curled up one of the 3D dimensions in your living room to 1mm.. so there is no more vertical above 1mm and everything is 2D on the floor (seen from large length scale).. would your table or bed still occur inside the 1mm?

bluecap said:
Let's say you curled up one of the 3D dimensions in your living room to 1mm.
See above: It is not a process. You either have a living room with a curled up dimension or you do not.
bluecap said:
so there is no more vertical above 1mm
There is no "above 1mm" if the height dimension is curled up.
bluecap said:
would your table or bed still occur inside the 1mm?
This question is meaningless.

Likes bluecap
mfb said:
See above: It is not a process. You either have a living room with a curled up dimension or you do not.There is no "above 1mm" if the height dimension is curled up.This question is meaningless.

I mean if you initiate the curling up in an already existing large dimension. Maybe your table or bed would just implode or would it somehow end up in the 1mm curled up dimension (from large infinite extend) intact? Just want idea and versatibility of the concept.

It is not a process.

I have no idea how to make it clearer than that, sorry. If you don't understand "it is not a process" I cannot help here.

mfb said:
It is not a process.

I have no idea how to make it clearer than that, sorry. If you don't understand "it is not a process" I cannot help here.

I see. So you mean when the Big Bang happened.. the 6 (or whatever) dimensions were already started as compactified?

I'll read the book now called "The Shape of Inner Space: String Theory and the Geometry of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465028373/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks for your assistance. It can make me visualize (or conceptualize) compactified dimensions better.

bluecap said:
I see. So you mean when the Big Bang happened.. the 6 (or whatever) dimensions were already started as compactified?

I'll read the book now called "The Shape of Inner Space: String Theory and the Geometry of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465028373/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks for your assistance. It can make me visualize (or conceptualize) compactified dimensions better.

mft, I got your point.. that the curl up dimension was created right at the Big Bang (supposed these exist). No problem about that. Now supposed there were Calabi-yau manifolds with 6 curled up dimensions. Is the 6 curled dimension in my room directly connected to your room? If so, how do you send a boson that can only travel in the curled up dimensions and doesn't use the existing larger dimension? This is just to visualize the whole idea. Thank you.

bluecap said:
Is the 6 curled dimension in my room directly connected to your room?
"connected" doesn't make sense. If there are extra dimensions, your room has them, and every "place" in the room is actually a small 6D space in the 9D space. The spatial dimensions are so small that most particles are indifferent to them - their wave function is the same at all places along these extra dimensions.
bluecap said:
If so, how do you send a boson that can only travel in the curled up dimensions and doesn't use the existing larger dimension?
You don't. With sufficient energy a boson can differ along these small dimensions, and then motion along these dimensions becomes possible.

mfb said:
"connected" doesn't make sense. If there are extra dimensions, your room has them, and every "place" in the room is actually a small 6D space in the 9D space. The spatial dimensions are so small that most particles are indifferent to them - their wave function is the same at all places along these extra dimensions.

If there are extra dimensions, the Earth has them, and every "place" on Earth is actually a small 6D space in the 9D space. Therefore my room is connected to yours via the 6D space.. so why do you say "connected" doesn't make sense?
You don't. With sufficient energy a boson can differ along these small dimensions, and then motion along these dimensions becomes possible.

Ah. You mean Planck energy bosons. It is said you need cosmic size particle accelerator to inject the photon into the compactified dimension.. no problem about that. But what do you mean a boson can differ along these small dimensions, and then motion along these dimensions becomes possible, any example or reference?

If there are compactified dimensions. It is implausible that they should rely on Planck size bosons to communicate. It's like Earth relying on the energy of pulsars to communicate in the surface. Maybe there are native scalar particles inside the compactified dimensions that are non-herztian, non-vectorian and has other mode of propagation?

bluecap said:
Therefore my room is connected to yours via the 6D space
Are our rooms "connected via height" as well? What does that even mean?
bluecap said:
Ah. You mean Planck energy bosons.
No I do not.
The extra dimensions, if they exist at all, could be large enough to be found by the LHC with more data. Likely? Depends on who you ask. Possible? For sure.

You seem to have some strange imagination of how compact extra dimensions would look like.
Let's try an analogy: 2 large space dimensions (x,y) and one small one (z). Let's make it 5 meters wide. You can freely move in all directions, space is three-dimensional for you. If you move in x and y direction you can explore other regions of space. If you move in z direction, after just 5 meters you return to where you started. If you move in a 45 degree angle to x and z, after 5*sqrt(2) meters you end up at the same z coordinate but now 5 meters shifted in x. You can explore space that way as well, you are just a bit slower. This is how the world looks like for particles at high energy - with a wavelength shorter than the length of the compact coordinate.

Now let's make the extra dimension smaller - 0.4 m. If you try to orient yourself along the z direction you'll hit yourself, you have to "lie" in the x/y plane. How does a house get designed in this world? The room layout will simply be an x/y-map. The z direction is too small to make walls or anything similar there. For someone designing this the world looks 2-dimensional. This is how the world looks for particles at low energy - with a wavelength longer than the length of the compact coordinate. For an ant, it still looks three-dimensional, because it is so much smaller.

Likes bluecap
mfb said:
Are our rooms "connected via height" as well? What does that even mean?No I do not.
The extra dimensions, if they exist at all, could be large enough to be found by the LHC with more data. Likely? Depends on who you ask. Possible? For sure.

You seem to have some strange imagination of how compact extra dimensions would look like.
Let's try an analogy: 2 large space dimensions (x,y) and one small one (z). Let's make it 5 meters wide. You can freely move in all directions, space is three-dimensional for you. If you move in x and y direction you can explore other regions of space. If you move in z direction, after just 5 meters you return to where you started. If you move in a 45 degree angle to x and z, after 5*sqrt(2) meters you end up at the same z coordinate but now 5 meters shifted in x. You can explore space that way as well, you are just a bit slower. This is how the world looks like for particles at high energy - with a wavelength shorter than the length of the compact coordinate.

Now let's make the extra dimension smaller - 0.4 m. If you try to orient yourself along the z direction you'll hit yourself, you have to "lie" in the x/y plane. How does a house get designed in this world? The room layout will simply be an x/y-map. The z direction is too small to make walls or anything similar there. For someone designing this the world looks 2-dimensional. This is how the world looks for particles at low energy - with a wavelength longer than the length of the compact coordinate. For an ant, it still looks three-dimensional, because it is so much smaller.

This is great description! Brian Green depicted space as having many Cabali-Yau manifolds in his book Elegant Universe like the following I saw at google

BPS1Rc.jpg

It confused me for over 15 years...

So the universe has only one say 6-dimensional Calabi-Yau manifold?

But then since the dimensions are very small.. is it possible that in our solar system and andromeda, there could be different Cabali-Yau shapes? Or if you can alter the flux and moduli, can you change the shape of the Cabali-Yau at will at a small test locality?

Attachments

• BPS1Rc.jpg
    BPS1Rc.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 432
The image can be misleading.
bluecap said:
So the universe has only one say 6-dimensional Calabi-Yau manifold?
If it has that at all.
bluecap said:
But then since the dimensions are very small.. is it possible that in our solar system and andromeda, there could be different Cabali-Yau shapes?
I'm not aware of any model that would predict this.

1. What is meant by compactified/curling 1D = 2D?

Compactification in physics refers to the process of reducing infinite dimensions to a finite size. In the context of 1D = 2D, it means that a one-dimensional system is being described in terms of a two-dimensional space. Curling, on the other hand, is a mathematical operation used to describe the rotation of a vector. Therefore, compactified/curling 1D = 2D refers to a system where a one-dimensional space is being compactified to a two-dimensional space, while taking into account the rotation of vectors.

2. Why is compactified/curling 1D = 2D important in physics?

Compactified/curling 1D = 2D is important in physics because it allows us to describe complex systems in a simpler manner. By reducing the number of dimensions, we can better understand the underlying principles and relationships of a system. It also helps in solving mathematical equations and making predictions about the behavior of the system.

3. What are some real-life examples of compactified/curling 1D = 2D?

One example of compactified/curling 1D = 2D is the study of waves, such as sound or electromagnetic waves. These waves can be described as traveling in a straight line, which can be represented as a one-dimensional system. However, they also exhibit properties of rotation, which can be described using the curling operation and adding an additional dimension. Another example is the study of quantum mechanics, where particles can be described as existing in multiple dimensions simultaneously.

4. How is compactified/curling 1D = 2D related to string theory?

In string theory, it is believed that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are one-dimensional strings that vibrate in multiple dimensions. These strings can also be described using the curling operation, which adds an additional dimension to the system. Therefore, compactified/curling 1D = 2D is an essential concept in string theory, as it helps to explain the complex interactions and behavior of these strings.

5. What are the implications of compactified/curling 1D = 2D for our understanding of the universe?

Compactified/curling 1D = 2D has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It allows us to study and describe complex systems in a simpler manner, which can help us make predictions and solve problems. It also helps us understand the interconnectedness of different dimensions and how they play a role in the behavior of the universe. Additionally, it is a crucial concept in string theory, which is a promising theory for unifying all the fundamental forces of nature.