Compactness and Connectedness

• Thread starter Salamon
  • Start date
In summary, The real line can have subsets that are compact and not connected, as well as subsets that are connected and not compact. The definition of compactness is that every open cover of the space has a finite subcover. This is true for closed intervals in the real line, which are compact in the usual topology. However, not all closed intervals are compact in the real line, and compactness does not necessarily imply closedness in other topologies such as Hausdorff.
Salamon
Let's take the real line.

I understand that there exists a subset of the real line which is connected and compact. Ex: [0,1]
I understand that there exists a subset of the real line which is neither connected or compact.
Ex: (0,1) U (5,6)

Do there exist any subsets of the real line which are compact and not connected?
Do there exist any subsets of the real line which are connected and not compact?

Physics news on Phys.org
Salamon said:
Do there exist any subsets of the real line which are compact and not connected?
Do there exist any subsets of the real line which are connected and not compact?

Yes to both. Try to find counterexamples.

I know all closed intervals are compact. I am not sure why this is so.

I am assuming [0,1] U [2,3] is compact but not connected?
And (0,1) is not compact but is connected,right?

Salamon said:
I know all closed intervals are compact. I am not sure why this is so.

What is your definition of compact?

I am assuming [0,1] U [2,3] is compact but not connected?
And (0,1) is not compact but is connected,right?

Right!

A set or space is compact iff every open cover of the space has a finite subcover.

Is everything that I said still true if the real line is a topological space which is topologized with the usual topology?

Salamon said:
A set or space is compact iff every open cover of the space has a finite subcover.

See http://planetmath.org/proofofheineboreltheorem under the heading "The case n=1, the closed interval is compact". This contains an elementary proof of the fact that closed intervals in ##\mathbb{R}## are compact.
If you already know the Heine-Borel theorem however, then you know that compactness in ##\mathbb{R}## is equivalent to closed and bounded, and the result that closed intervals are compact becomes a lot easier to prove.

Is everything that I said still true if the real line is a topological space which is topologized with the usual topology?

Yes.

It is fairly easily provable that every compact set is closed.
It is fairly easily provable that every compact set, in a metric space so that "bounded" is defined, is bounded.

Much harder is the proof that, in the real numbers with the "usual" topology, sets that are both closed and bounded are compact. Your statement that "all closed intervals are compact" is NOT true. [itex][0, \infty)[/itex] is closed but NOT compact.

HallsofIvy said:
It is fairly easily provable that every compact set is closed.
It is fairly easily provable that every compact set, in a metric space so that "bounded" is defined, is bounded.

Much harder is the proof that, in the real numbers with the "usual" topology, sets that are both closed and bounded are compact. Your statement that "all closed intervals are compact" is NOT true. [itex][0, \infty)[/itex] is closed but NOT compact.

Maybe you mean every compact set is closed in metric topologies? Note that compact sets are closed under Hausdorff topologies, but not necessarily otherwise.

Still, notice that while compact implies closed in Hausdorff spaces, the opposite does not always hold; take, e.g., the interval ## [a,b] \cap \mathbb Q##. This is closed in ##\mathbb Q ##, but not compact there, because you can find sequences there without convergent subsequences ( which cannot happen in a compact subset of a metric space ), like, e.g., the sequence 1, 1.4, 1.414,... that "should converge" to ## \sqrt 2 ##

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of compactness?

Compactness is a mathematical property of a topological space that describes how "small" or "spread out" the space is. In simpler terms, it measures how easily a space can be covered by a finite number of open sets.

2. How is compactness related to connectedness?

Compactness and connectedness are both properties of topological spaces, but they are not interchangeable. A compact space is always connected, but a connected space is not necessarily compact. In other words, compactness is a stronger condition than connectedness.

3. What is the difference between local and global compactness?

Local compactness refers to a space being compact in every neighborhood of each of its points. Global compactness, on the other hand, means that the space itself is compact as a whole. A locally compact space may not necessarily be globally compact.

4. Can a non-compact space be connected?

Yes, a non-compact space can be connected. For example, the real line (R), which is not compact, is also connected. This shows that compactness and connectivity are independent properties.

5. How is compactness useful in real-world applications?

Compactness has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it can be used to describe the behavior of matter under extreme temperatures or pressures, model the flow of fluids in pipes, and optimize computer algorithms for efficient calculations.