1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compactness and continuity.

1. Feb 8, 2008 #1
    I need to prove that for every continuous function f:X->X of a metric and compact space X, which satisfy for each two different x and y in X p(f(x),f(y))<p(x,y) where p is the metric on X, there's a fixed point, i.e there exist x0 s.t f(x0)=x0.

obviously i thought assuming there isnt such a point i.e that for every x in X f(x)!=x
    now because X is compact and it's a metric space it's equivalent to sequence compactness, i.e that for every sequence of X there exist a subsequence of it that converges to x0.

now [tex]p(f(x_{n_k}),x_{n_k})[/tex], because they are not equal then there exist e0 such that: [tex]p(f(x_{n_k}),x_{n_k})>=e0[/tex]
    now if x_n_k=f(y_n_k) y_n_k!=x_n_k, we can write it as:
    p(x_n_k,x0)+p(x0,y_n_k)>=p(x_n_k,y_n_k)>e0
    now if y_n_k were converging to x0, it will be easier, not sure how to procceed...

what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a special case of the Banach contraction mapping theorem. A proof would go as follows: Let x0 be any point in X, and let xn=f(xn-1) for n>1. Claim: {x_n} converges.

Post back if you need more hints.

4. Feb 9, 2008 #3
    well cauchy sequnce obviously will do here.
    [tex]p(f(x_n),f(x_{n_k}))<p(x_n,x_n_k)=p(f(x_{n-1}),f(x_{n_k-1}))<p(x_{n-1},x_{n_k-1})<....<p(x_0,x_{n_k-n})[/tex]
    now if x_{n_k-n} converges to x_0 (which can be assumed cause it's compact and metric), it will be easy to prove your claim, cause then for every e>0 s.t k is big enough:
    p(x_0,x_{n_k-1})<e/2 and also p(x0,x_{n_k-n})<e/2
    so p(x_n-1,x0)<=p(f(x_n),f(x_n_k))+p(f(x_n_k),x0)<...<e.

is this wrong? I have a sneaky suspicion that yes.

5. Feb 9, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If n > n_k, then [itex]x_{n_k - n}[/itex] doesn't make sense. Also I don't see how you can assume that "x_{n_k-n} converges to x_0", because it isn't true.

You started out with the right idea. Let n>m, and consider p(xn, xm). Show that we can make this arbitrarily small. This would imply that {xn} is Cauchy and hence convergent (because X is compact). Then we can use the continuity of f to conclude that f has a fixed point (how?).

6. Feb 11, 2008 #5
    well, p(xn,xm)<p(xn-1,xm-1)<....<p(xn-m,x0)
    now how do i procceed from here?
    I mean if I assume n-m is big enough, s.t x_n-m->x0 then that will do, not sure that this is correct...

7. Feb 12, 2008 #6
    I have another two questions, I need to answer if the next spaces satisfy S2 or Sep, the spaces are with they metrics affiliated with them, in here:
    http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~shustin/course/tar5top.xet.pdf
    in questions 4,5 (disregard the herbew words near them) there listed the spaces.

well what i think is that because if a space is metric and it satisfies S2 then it also satisifes S2, and always when S2 is satisifes then also Sep is satisifed, then it's easy to check fo Sep, i think it follows that for the first the space follows both of them, while in the second it doesnt satisify either of them.

not sure how argue that?
    I mean can I find a countable basis for the C^k[0,1]?
    or a countable dense set in it?
    what do you think?

8. Feb 16, 2008 #7

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To finish off, you can use the triangle inequality
    [tex]\rho(x_{n-m},x_0) < \rho(x_{n-m},x_{n-m-1}) + \rho(x_{n-m-1}, x_{n-m-2}) + \cdots + \rho(x_1, x_0)[/tex]
    coupled with the observation that
    [tex]\rho(x_n, x_{n-1}) < \rho(x_1, x_0)[/tex].

9. Feb 16, 2008 #8

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As for your other question: I'm guessing S_2 means second countable (has a countable basis) and Sep means separable (has a countable dense subset), right?

And you have the right idea: a metric space is separable iff it's second countable. I would use separability here. For C^k[0,1], try to see if Weierstrauss's theorem is helpful. For l_2, I would think about the subspace consisting of sequences with only finitely many terms. This is certainly dense in l_2, but is it countable? No. So how about we restrict these sequences to those with rational terms?

10. Feb 16, 2008 #9
    it seems eventually that munkres has a similar questions with hints which were helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?