Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compactness contradiction physics

1. Feb 24, 2005 #1
    Let A be a compact subset of a metric space (X,d). Show that there exist a,b in A such that d(A) = d(a,b) where d(A) denotes the diameter of A.

I guess...we're supposed to use the fact that a compactness of A implies that it is closed and bounded or alternately...we could assume that there are no a,b in A such that d(A)=d(a,b) and arrive at a contradiction to the fact that A is compact.
    Any suggestions??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2
    Find appropriate sequences (a_n) and (b_n) then apply Bolzano-Weierstrass.

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

THis may be exactly the same hint, but it's also known that compact and seqentially compact are equivalent for metric spaces. But then there is another way of doing it: every continuous real valued function on a compact spaces is bounded and attains its bounds.

5. Feb 24, 2005 #4
    That's what I meant by Bolzano-Weierstrass. But I probably should have been more explicit, since that's really a generalization of the theorem and not the theorem iteself.

6. Feb 25, 2005 #5
    thanks.... i did do the sequences thing but i feel that it's not an elegant way of doing it. why? that's because you're talking about distance in A (cross) A
    that's what d(an,bn) means...
    so i think it's definitely not the best way of doing it....
    "every continuous real valued function on a compact spaces is bounded and attains its bounds. " can you please elaborate? :confused:

7. Feb 25, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A is compact, hence AxA is compact. d(?,?) is a continuous function on AxA hence there is a point in AxA such that d(?,?) is maximized, let that point be (a,b).

8. Feb 26, 2005 #7
    thanks a lot...i figured that out finally!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?