Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Compactness iff precompact

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let S be a subset of C. Prove that S is precompact if and only
    if S(closure) is compact.

2. Relevant equations

I have already showed if S(closure) compact, then S is precompact
    how can I show if S is precompact, then S(closure) is compact?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    What is your definition ofS being precompact? The one I knew is that the closure of S is compact.

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    I think the OP means totally bounded. I've seen this terminology used before...

Anyway, you are working in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]. So try to prove that the closure of a totally bounded set is (totally) bounded. Then use Heine-Borel.

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4
    Definition:
    A set S is precompact if every ε>0 then S can be covered by finitely many discs of radius ε .

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5
    We didn't cover totally boundedness. I think we should use definition of precompactess.

7. Oct 11, 2011 #6
    Sazanda:
    The definition you gave is the same as that of totally-bounded. I mean, totally.

8. Oct 17, 2011 #7
    totally bounded

how Can I show that the closure of a totally bounded set is (totally) bounded?

solution Tried:

Assume S is totally bounded. then for very ε>0 there are finitely many discs (O=Union of finitely many discs) that covers S let x be a limit points of S that is in S closure. but not in S.
    hence x is in O (how can I show this?)
    So x is in O for all x in S closure.
    Hence S closure is totally bounded.

Am I on the right track?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook