1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compactness iff precompact

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let S be a subset of C. Prove that S is precompact if and only
    if S(closure) is compact.

2. Relevant equations

I have already showed if S(closure) compact, then S is precompact
    how can I show if S is precompact, then S(closure) is compact?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    What is your definition ofS being precompact? The one I knew is that the closure of S is compact.

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think the OP means totally bounded. I've seen this terminology used before...

Anyway, you are working in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]. So try to prove that the closure of a totally bounded set is (totally) bounded. Then use Heine-Borel.

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4
    Definition:
    A set S is precompact if every ε>0 then S can be covered by finitely many discs of radius ε .

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5
    We didn't cover totally boundedness. I think we should use definition of precompactess.

7. Oct 11, 2011 #6
    Sazanda:
    The definition you gave is the same as that of totally-bounded. I mean, totally.

8. Oct 17, 2011 #7
    totally bounded

how Can I show that the closure of a totally bounded set is (totally) bounded?

solution Tried:

Assume S is totally bounded. then for very ε>0 there are finitely many discs (O=Union of finitely many discs) that covers S let x be a limit points of S that is in S closure. but not in S.
    hence x is in O (how can I show this?)
    So x is in O for all x in S closure.
    Hence S closure is totally bounded.

Am I on the right track?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook