Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compactness of subsets

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to show that "closed subsets of compact sets are compact". I think I proved (or didn't) that every subset of a compact set is compact, which may be wrong. Here is what I've done so far, please correct me.

q in A, q not in B, p in B implies p in A. Let {V_a} an open cover of A where V_a = N_r (p) if r = max(p,q). By compactness {V_a} has finite subcover {V_a_i}. Due to our choice of V_a, B can also covered by that finite subcover of {V_a}. Hence B is compact.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2012 #2

jgens

Gold Member

This is pretty much nonsense.

4. Aug 24, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK. Are you working in topological spaces, metric spaces, [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]?

5. Aug 24, 2012 #4
    I'm working in some metric space. It seems like I picked a really bad way to show that. Although I've seen rudin's solution and it does make sense to me, I just wanted to know if my proof could be corrected somehow

6. Aug 24, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, here is a criticism of the proof:

What is A? What is B?

What is [itex]N_r(p)[/itex]? Why can we choose [itex]V_a=N_r(p)[/itex]?

p and q are not real numbers, how can you take the max?

Where did you that the subset of the compact set is closed?

7. Aug 24, 2012 #6
    Oops I forgot to mention a lot of things... But I still can't figure out how to use that the subset is closed. I'll be happy with rudin's proof. Thanks

8. Aug 24, 2012 #7

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Just to note an implicit point I think Micromass brought up. Your result is true in

general for closed subsets of compact Hausdorff spaces; metric spaces are Hausdorff,

so Hausdorff condition is not explicitly used.

9. Aug 24, 2012 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The result is actually always true, even without Hausdorff condition. The "converse" that every compact set is closed uses Hausdorff though...

10. Aug 24, 2012 #9

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Ah, yea, I misread it, my bad....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook