Why can current be larger than placed charges in a wire?

In summary, the discrepancy between the enormous amount of charge represented by a coulomb and the reasonable amount of current represented by 10 A can be explained by the fact that current is the amount of charge flow per second and is dependent on the volume of the wire. The larger the volume, the less resistance and the more current can flow. Additionally, it should be noted that all charges flow on the surface, and the mathematical relationship between current and charge flow supports this explanation.
plasma tail

Homework Statement

We have seen that a coulomb is an enormous amount of
charge; it is virtually impossible to place a charge of 1 C on an
object. Yet, a current of 10 A, is quite reasonable. Explain
this apparent discrepancy.

Homework Equations

I = nqvA

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it is because current is the amount of charge flow per second, and the amount of charge depends on the volume of the wire, hence current can be larger than the placed charges if volume of the wire is pretty big. is this a good answer? is there anything to add? thx

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with: As you've already said, current is defined as the amount of charge flow per second, there could be many charges little charges but summing them up will result in 1 C, bigger volume mean less resistance so more current flow this can be explained (the bad way) because charges have more space to avoid hitting static atoms in the wire (also the reason you've mentionned) and I should mention all the charges flow on the surface,any way if we get into the math, ## I = \frac{\delta Q}{\delta t} ##, if we take for example ##\delta t = 0.01 s## mesure that ##\delta Q = 0.1C## passed, then we conclude that I = 10A, Cheers :D

What is the difference between charge and current?

Charge refers to the physical property of matter that causes it to experience an electric force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It is measured in coulombs (C). Current, on the other hand, refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductor and is measured in amperes (A).

How are charge and current related?

Charge and current are directly related to each other. Current is the rate at which charge flows through a conductor. This means that the higher the current, the more charge is flowing through the conductor per unit time.

What is the unit of measurement for charge and current?

As mentioned earlier, charge is measured in coulombs (C), while current is measured in amperes (A). One coulomb of charge per second of time is equal to one ampere of current.

Can charge exist without current?

No, charge cannot exist without current. Charge is a property that is manifested through current. In other words, in order for charge to be present, there must be a flow of electric current.

How does the flow of charge and current affect electrical devices?

The flow of charge and current is what powers most electrical devices. The movement of charge through a circuit creates an electrical current, which can then be used to power devices such as light bulbs, motors, and electronic devices.