Compare the Ks0 values of MnCO3(s)

• Thread starter spooky01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compare
In summary, Mn2+ concentration in estuarine waters is higher than in fresh water. The Mn2+ activity is also higher in estuarine waters.
spooky01

Homework Statement

compare the Ks0 values of MnCO3(s) in fresh water (I=0) and in estuarine waters (I=0.08) at 25°C. If each of the waters contained a concentration of CO32- equal to 10-6M and MnCO3(s) controls the Mn solubility, what is the Mn2+ concentration in each water? What is the Mn2+ activity in each water?

Homework Equations

MnCO3 (s) = Mn2+ (aq) + CO32- (aq)

Ks0 = {Mn2+}{CO32-} / {MnCO3 (s)}

Ks0 = yMn2+[Mn2+] yCO32-[CO32-]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to start. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm just not understanding what the problem means. Does it mean if [CO32-] is 10-6M and the ratio of CO32- to Mn2+ is 1:1 in the chemical equation then [Mn2+] is also 10-6M? Is this how others are interpreting the problem?

Calculate concentration of Mn2+ assuming solution is saturated AND concentration of CO32- is 10-6.

Then an ICE table should be used? Something like this?
____________MnCO3 (s)__________Mn2+ (aq)________CO32- (aq)

Initial___________solid______________0_______________10-6M

Change__________-x_______________+x__________________+x

Equilibrium______-x_______________+x______________10-6M + x

No, no need for ICE table.

Write formula for Ksp. You know Ksp value, you know concentration of CO32-, the only unknown is the concentration of Mn2+. And solving for the concentration of Mn2+ is trivial.

Ksp = [Mn2+][CO32-]
Ksp = [x][x]
x= 10-6M
Ksp = (10^-6M)(10^-6M)
Ksp = 1.0x10^-12

Is this right?

No, you are doing strange things. That means you are completely confused about something.

First - find Ksp value in the Ksp tables. What is the value?

Ohh I see what you're saying not, Ksp is 2.2 x 10-11.

Now plug the Ksp and CO32- concentration into Ksp formula, and solve for the only unknown.

Gotcha, that's simple! I was over thinking it. Thank you oh mighty chemistry guy. So in my above equation Ks0 = yMn2+[Mn2+] yCO32-[CO32-], can Ksp be put in for Ks0?

2.2x10^-11 = [Mn2+] (10^-6M)
2.2x10^-5 = [Mn2+]

Last edited:
As far as I can tell Ksp and Kso are different symbols used for exactly the same constant.

Just in case someone wonder what your equation means. I guess it is

[tex]K_{sp} = \gamma_{Mn^{2+}}[Mn^{2+}]\gamma_{CO_3^{2-}}[CO_3^{2-}][/tex]

1. What are Ks0 values?

Ks0 values, also known as solubility product constants, represent the equilibrium constant for a solid substance dissolving in water. They indicate the maximum amount of solute that can dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature.

2. How does MnCO3(s) compare to other substances in terms of Ks0 value?

MnCO3(s) typically has a lower Ks0 value compared to other substances, meaning it is less soluble in water. This is due to the strong bonds between the manganese, carbon, and oxygen atoms in the compound.

3. What factors affect the Ks0 value of MnCO3(s)?

The Ks0 value of MnCO3(s) is affected by temperature, pH, and the presence of other ions in the solution. Higher temperatures and lower pH levels can increase the solubility of MnCO3(s), while the presence of other ions can decrease its solubility.

4. Can the Ks0 value of MnCO3(s) change?

Yes, the Ks0 value of MnCO3(s) can change depending on the conditions of the solution. For example, if the temperature or pH changes, the Ks0 value will also change. Additionally, if a different solvent is used, the Ks0 value may be different.

5. How is the Ks0 value of MnCO3(s) determined?

The Ks0 value of MnCO3(s) can be determined through experiments, where the concentration of the dissolved ions is measured at different temperatures and/or pH levels. This data is then used to calculate the Ks0 value using the equilibrium constant equation.