Compare Universities for Graduate Program: Stipends, Programs & Living Costs

In summary, the universities you have been selected to attend offer excellent programs in condensed matter, solid state, and nanoscience. Living costs are unknown, but should be modest. Knoxville, TN has a poor public transportation system, but Kent, OH is small enough that you would be able to get around easily by bike or on foot. The public transit in South Carolina, Ohio, and UConn is good.
uskalu
I have get selected for the graduate program of following universities.
1. University of Tennessee,Knoxville - Stipend $17500
2. Ohio University ,Athens - Stipend $2200
3. University of Connecticut, - Stipend $9500 as T.A and perdoctoral fellowship $9500
4. University of South Carolina - Stipend $15250
5. University of Arkansas

also I some times i may get selected for Kent state university of Liquid crystal institute.
I don't know which one tho select.
So please let me know about the Condensed matter physics,Nanoscience and solid state physics programs of those universities and living cost,public transportation...etc.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
public transportation

Please let me know the public transportation facilities of following states (because I got selected to University of Tennessee,Ohio University, UConn , University of South Carolina)Knoxville, TN,
South Carolina,
Kent,OH
Athens,OH
Connecticut

waiting for reply

Last edited:

Start in Wikipedia, and use google.

Are you looking any trend in particular about PT in those places?

University of Arkansas

Recently I got selected to university of Arkansas,Fayetteville physics program.
Im interested in condensed matter,solid state and nanoscience.

could you please let me know rough idea about the grad program and living cost, public transportation...etc.
Thank you

Kent, OH has a very poor, not very active bus system. However, it is small enough that you would be able to get anywhere in town with a bike. The bar area is a bit less than a mile from campus. If you want to do much shopping though, there is a bus that runs like once an hour or so into the shopping area.

The public transit in Knoxville, TN is OK, but it's limited to a bus system (the http://www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/kat/"). KAT runs trolley-buses around a few routes to campus on weekdays.. they aren't scheduled but run roughly every 10-15 minutes. Their accessibility is a bit poor (the wheelchair ramps don't always work), but they are currently free (rumor has it that they'll start charging 50 cents, but the date is unknown). One route serves downtown only, but one runs around downtown (where there are some expensive condos for rent) and campus, and one runs around a mostly student-living zone ("The Fort" or Fort Sanders area) and campus.

There are also normal scheduled buses ($1.50 one-way, or passes are available -- including semester passes for UT students). The main transfer point is downtown in front of the courthouse, so almost all routes serve downtown (some every half hour, but most every hour). Many of these (those coming from the west), also run by campus, or you could transfer to the next bus or trolley that does.

Some buses don't go downtown, but are express-type routes serving campus and some student apartment complexes a fair distance from town. the main spot for these on campus is near the stadium. Some express routes also currently run in the morning and evening from Farragut, etc.

Our family currently has one car (that we use for trips and grocery-shopping, etc.). Grocery shopping would be tough without a car, at least where we live, which is downtown... and downtown doesn't have a good basic grocery (especially for a family of 4-5). If you lived within walking or biking distance of a grocery and were single, I could see getting by pretty well via public transit (though as a student you might want to check late night hours of routes). I use the trolley pretty regularly (in fact all the drivers know us... but that's because our oldest son is disabled, and like many disabled kids, LOVES public transit.. so we're extra-memorable because of his enthusiasm when we see them driving by and especially when we take a ride.)

Summary: transportation here isn't great, but workable. The one problem I see is that people here look down on public transit a bit (ex. the free trolley is often seen as a homeless people-mover, especially on bad-weather days). But that's just because people here perhaps need a bit more enlightened thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

For Columbia, SC (home of U of South Carolina), the local bus system is pretty mimimal by large-city standards. The busiest routes run every half hour. Many run only every hour. Only a few of them run as late as 10 pm. Others stop running at 8 pm or even 6 pm. Weekend service is more limited.

You can find maps and schedules at the Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority.

The university also operates a campus shuttle bus service that is free for students, but I don't know any details.

If you live near the university, you can probably do most of your daily activities on foot or bicycle, plus maybe the university shuttle. To the immediate east of the university is the Five Points area which is where most of the student-oriented nightlife and shopping is. To the immediate west is downtown Columbia with government offices, businesses, etc. But if you want to go to one of the big shopping malls, it will take a bit of planning, and some slow bus rides.

Keep in mind that it gets HOT in the summer. From June through mid September typical daytime temperatures are high 80s to low 90s Fahrenheit, and in July or August high 90s and low 100s are common.

(I live about an hour away and visit Columbia regularly.)

KelCatrell said:
Kent, OH has a very poor, not very active bus system. However, it is small enough that you would be able to get anywhere in town with a bike. The bar area is a bit less than a mile from campus. If you want to do much shopping though, there is a bus that runs like once an hour or so into the shopping area.

I agree with this. I visit OU atleast a couple of time per quarter and my experience has always been a nightmare to park and then walking from then on out. As you said however, the walk isn't that bad.

Flat said:
I agree with this. I visit OU atleast a couple of time per quarter and my experience has always been a nightmare to park and then walking from then on out. As you said however, the walk isn't that bad.

OU isn't in Kent, it's in Athens. I agree with both the OU and Kent comments. Both are very walkable areas. Parking in both cities can be aggravating though. I've paid the city of Kent and Kent State quite a bit of money in parking tickets. They will find you every time, even tow in some cases.

This is a bit off topic but when I went through Knoxville recently...there was like this thick haze in the air...what the heck was it?!

pollution? smoke from some nearby plant? it appeared that knoxville was in some mountain-y area..would that have anything to do with it?

how much do you have to pay for uni?

DrummingAtom said:
OU isn't in Kent, it's in Athens. I agree with both the OU and Kent comments. Both are very walkable areas. Parking in both cities can be aggravating though. I've paid the city of Kent and Kent State quite a bit of money in parking tickets. They will find you every time, even tow in some cases.

Opps. To Clarify I was talking about OU and not Kent State.

Is the stipend for Ohio University a typo?

University of South Carolina Vs UT,knoxvill Vs Ohio university,Athens

Hi all,
Please let me know Condensd matter, solid state and surface physics programs in above universities.
also give me rough idea about environment,weather transportation n living cost...etc

also please let me know positives and negatives of those three universities.

Please help me.

University of south carolina

Hi all,
Does anyone know about graduate physics program at USC. how about the living environment there. is it too hot place to live?
please help me

I live about an hour away from Columbia.

I have to say, I do enjoy the atmosphere of South Carolina. The University itself can get VERY hot during the summer, and it's quite humid down here as well so the heat is quite intense (especially since the college is IN the city). BUT starting in September it becomes quite mild and remains that way until late May.

Rarely any snow (not even comparable to North Carolina, I mean literally, no snow), and the winters are very mild (benefits of living in the South).

I think South Carolina is a much easier place to live than a lot of locales in the States, and while it does get hot and is almost always humid, I find myself constantly aware (especially this time of year) that it is so great outside I'm truly lucky to be here.

As for the academics, I haven't a clue, but I'll be attending South Carolina myself this fall.

Hope this helps with the living environment though. You can't go wrong in Columbia!

how about the living cost?
and the transportation facilities there?

Cost of living in South Carolina is quite low in general compared to a majority of the United States. I can't quote numbers, you'd have to do some research yourself for that.

The college itself has it's system of buses and whatnot, but you are within walking distance of really almost all of downtown Columbia from any point on campus. In terms of the City of Columbia's transit, I can't speak too much for, I believe someone in one of your other threads posted more about that.

But as I said, I'll be attending there in the Fall and everything can be reached easily with walking or biking.

I found there too hot<about100 F> during summer. so is it possible to live.
Im living in sri lanka near colombo its about 86F.
I can't imagine the temperature in south carolina.

also does condensed matter research group has sufficiant fundings? because I am also coming to USC in this fall to do my Phd.

please let me know your ideas.
thank you

I have to take decision before this 15th. so please help me to select good uni. i need your ideas. it will help me lot n very usefull to take decision. the proble is my wife got selected to kent state university, but I am not. her TOEFL results were low<ibt 79>. also she got GTA with $ 20000 per year. is it better to go to smaller uni?
im really like UT. also i heard that its really good uni.but its too far from kent state. its serious proble to me. so please help me.

It does get up to 100 or slightly higher, but it's not too common. Maybe 3 or 4 days a year. It's times like that we're thankful for air conditioning!

As I said before, I have not a clue as to the graduate schooling, maybe someone else can aid here.

liquid crystal institute at kent state Vs condensed matter at south carolina

Which uni should i select? which program has good jobs after gettin phd? please let me know liquid crystal institute or condensed matter should i choose.

Look uskalu, you have to give people a chance to answer. People do not, as a rule, sit at their terminals waiting for you to post a question.

Furthermore, it would help a great deal if you were to do your homework first. Cyclovenom's advice is very good: start in Wikipedia and use Google. Also, you can check out the department's web site. Then, after you've done that, you should ask us specific questions (the one on public transportation is very good).

When you ask us for information on weather, something that is easy to find on Wikipedia, and then pester us about it, you are - perhaps inadvertently - sending the signal that your time is much more valuable than ours. This may even reduce the number of replies that you get, as people are very turned off by this.

I appreciate the fact that you are under some time pressure, but the fact that you hadn't done your homework before applying to these schools doesn't make this an emergency on our part.

uskalu said:
I have to take decision before this 15th. so please help me to select good uni. i need your ideas. it will help me lot n very usefull to take decision. the proble is my wife got selected to kent state university, but I am not. her TOEFL results were low<ibt 79>. also she got GTA with $ 20000 per year. is it better to go to smaller uni?
im really like UT. also i heard that its really good uni.but its too far from kent state. its serious proble to me. so please help me.
One needs to work this out with one's wife. As Vanadium indicated, there are many resources on the internet, and one should have been doing research as part of the university selection process.

Vanadium 50 said:
Look uskalu, you have to give people a chance to answer. People do not, as a rule, sit at their terminals waiting for you to post a question.

Furthermore, it would help a great deal if you were to do your homework first. Cyclovenom's advice is very good: start in Wikipedia and use Google. Also, you can check out the department's web site. Then, after you've done that, you should ask us specific questions (the one on public transportation is very good).

When you ask us for information on weather, something that is easy to find on Wikipedia, and then pester us about it, you are - perhaps inadvertently - sending the signal that your time is much more valuable than ours. This may even reduce the number of replies that you get, as people are very turned off by this.

I appreciate the fact that you are under some time pressure, but the fact that you hadn't done your homework before applying to these schools doesn't make this an emergency on our part.

Thanks Vanadium50. i got your point. I am sorry.

uskalu said:
I have get selected for the graduate program of following universities.
1. University of Tennessee,Knoxville - Stipend $17500
2. Ohio University ,Athens - Stipend $2200
3. University of Connecticut, - Stipend $9500 as T.A and perdoctoral fellowship $9500
4. University of South Carolina - Stipend $15250
5. University of Arkansas

also I some times i may get selected for Kent state university of Liquid crystal institute.
I don't know which one tho select.
So please let me know about the Condensed matter physics,Nanoscience and solid state physics programs of those universities and living cost,public transportation...etc.

I visited UCONN recently (I, too, got accepted to UCONN, among other places). It seemed pretty good, though I can't compare it with any of the schools you listed. They seem to have a strong AMO (atomic, molecular, and optical physics) group, and when I toured the AMO labs I saw work done on BEC (Bose-Einstein Condensates) and ultrafast lasers. In condensed matter, I recall that professor Wells was investigating oxide films (created in the lab), including the effects of creating these films on a substrate which spaced the atoms farther away from each other than they otherwise would be, and high-temperature superconductivity. As for public transportation, the grad students there have mentioned it's kind of in the middle of nowhere, in that it's not near a big city like many colleges, so I doubt there'll be much in the way of public transportation, though a campus that size would probably have a shuttle that would bring you from certain areas on campus to other areas for free.

For more information you should look at UCONN's condensed matter page http://www.phys.uconn.edu/research/condensed-matter-physics/ and go through each name one-by-one, writing down notes on whatever research sound interesting. In fact, I recommend you do this for all of the schools you got accepted to. You can get more information from gradschoolshopper.com as well. For cost of living information, if you go to google.com and search for "cost of living calculator", you will find sites that offer comparisons of costs of living between different areas of the US.

Money matters, go for:

University of South Carolina - Stipend $15250

I haven't seen the university but it is a nice state and the cost of living is low, you would be comfortable on that stipend.

1. What factors should I consider when comparing universities for a graduate program?

When comparing universities for a graduate program, you should consider the stipend offered, the programs available, and the living costs in the area. These factors will affect your financial stability and overall experience during your graduate studies.

2. How does the stipend offered by universities vary?

The stipend offered by universities can vary greatly. It can depend on the location of the university, the type of program, and the funding available. Some universities may offer a fixed stipend for all graduate students, while others may offer different amounts based on the program or department.

3. What programs should I look for in a graduate program?

The programs available at a university should align with your academic and career goals. It's important to research the curriculum, faculty, and opportunities for research or internships in your desired program. You should also consider if the program has any specializations or concentrations that align with your interests.

4. How do living costs affect my decision when comparing universities?

Living costs can greatly impact your overall experience at a university. It's important to research the cost of housing, food, transportation, and other expenses in the area. Additionally, some universities may offer on-campus housing or meal plans, which could affect your living costs. It's important to consider these factors when comparing universities.

5. Can I negotiate my stipend with a university?

Some universities may be open to negotiating stipend amounts, especially if you have received offers from other universities. It's important to research the average stipend for your program and location and use that information to negotiate with the university. However, not all universities may be open to negotiation, so it's important to be prepared for both outcomes.