Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing browsers

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I use various browsers for various applications (IE8, Firefox, Avant, Opera). My primary antivirus program is Avira. Has anyone studied which browser is safest to use when protected by Avira? Also what about other browsers?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

I use Chrome because it is a low-overhead application. FF and IE (last resort) are the other browsers that I use. I highly recommend that you download AVAST and run it. It updates at least once a day (or more) with new threat definitions and version modifications. If you are an individual with a non-commercial PC to protect, AVAST is the best. It is free for personal use, and is constantly updated.

4. Nov 14, 2009 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do have Avast, but according to a survey I saw, Avira is better at catching viruses. My own experience bears this out. The only drawback to Avira is that the free version does not check e-mail. I use Avast for that. Another advantage for Avira is that I can schedule a daily sweep (in the middle of the night). Avast does not have this feature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook