1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing coefficients

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    Hi, this is my first post.

Right now I am in grade 12 advanced functions and introductory calc.

I have just started the second unit which is polynomial equations and inequalities.

I am currently having a problem with comparing coefficients.
    I understand up until where you find the factor of the cubic equation, and distrubute it over the part polynomial which is (x^2 + kn + (p times the coefficiant of the original polynomial)

I get confused when I solve for both x's. I always turn out to have different numbers, and I don't know what to plug in for k.

Help is urgent please.

thanks to all

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am sorry, it simply is not clear what you are looking for.

Could you post your problem clearly and in its entirety. Then show us some of your work, not the result of your work but the processes you employed to arrive at the result. This will allow us to get to the root of the problem much quicker.

4. Oct 5, 2005 #3
    Thanks for trying to help, sorry I didn't reply sooner.
    I figured it out today. I thought it was an accual term used for one of the (basic high-school) methods of factoring cubic(or higher) equations into smaller ones.
    (I didn't have trouble with a particular equation, but of the process of all equations in that manner.)

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?