Comparing Molecules of Gases

In summary, the question is asking for the volume of CH4 at 0°C and 1.00 atm that would contain the same number of molecules as 0.58 L of N2 at 35.0 °C and 1.50 atm. To solve this, you would use Avogadro's Number and the molar mass of CH4. The equation to use is PV = nRT, where you do not need a value for R since you are calculating the ratio of two quantities.
Boozehound22

Homework Statement

What volume of CH4 at 0°C and 1.00 atm contains the same number of molecules as 0.58 L of N2 measured at 35.0 °C and 1.50 atm?

Homework Equations

I think you just need to use Avogadro's Number and multiply by the molar mass?
I guess my question is what equation would you use?

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't attempted the question due to lack of an equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably looking for PV = nRT

thank you. i was trying that formula but was plugging in the wrong number for moles.

Remember you are doing the ratio of two of these, so you don't actualy need a value for R

1. How do you compare the molecular structures of different gases?

The molecular structures of gases can be compared by analyzing the number and arrangement of atoms within the molecule, as well as the types of bonds between the atoms.

2. What is the significance of comparing the molecular sizes of gases?

Comparing the molecular sizes of gases can help in understanding their behavior and properties, such as their boiling and melting points, density, and diffusivity.

3. What are some methods used to compare the molecular weights of gases?

Gas chromatography and mass spectrometry are commonly used methods to determine the molecular weights of gases and compare them.

4. How do you compare the intermolecular forces between different gases?

Intermolecular forces, such as London dispersion forces and dipole-dipole interactions, can be compared by analyzing the polarity and electronegativity of the atoms within the molecule.

5. What are the implications of comparing the molecular structures of gases in the field of chemistry?

Comparing the molecular structures of gases is crucial in predicting their reactivity and interactions with other substances, as well as in developing new chemical compounds and materials.