1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing Orbitals of H and He+

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Both H and He+ atoms contain a nucleus and a single electron. Therefore He+ is often referred to as Hydrogen-like. According to the Bohr Model, the electron in He+ should orbit the nucleus in discrete orbits, much like the electron in the Hydrogen atom orbits its nucleus. How will the electron's orbital of He+ differ from the elctron's orbits of a H atom?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I don't see how their orbits will be different because they are both found within a 1s orbital which are spherical. Would they have different levels of energy? If so how could you go about figuring this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2
    I'm not sure about calculating energy levels, but if you consider the amount of protons in a He+ atom versus a H atom, there are twice as many. This extra positive charge should cause a greater attraction inward on the proton. I think this change will also change the energy levels but can't help you with the calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook