1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing the the magnitude of grav. field at top of a plateau vs. a nearby city

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My instructor wants me to calculate the magnitude of the gravitational field at the top of a plateau and then do the same for a nearby city.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\vec{g}_{density} = \int_{v}\frac{\rho(\vec{r})\hat{r}}{r^{2}}d\tau[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Our instructor first tells us to assume the plateau is an infinite layer with thickness h = 300m and mass density [tex]\rho = 2000 kg/m^{3}.[/tex] He says that this assumption is correct as long as we stay away from the edges. He then asks if we compress this volume into a thin sheet with mass density per unit area [tex]\sigma[/tex] what is the value of [tex]\sigma[/tex].

[tex]\sigma = \frac{dM}{dA} , \rho = \frac{dM}{dV} \Rightarrow dM = \rho dV

\Rightarrow \sigma = \frac{\rho dV}{dA} , dV = dA(h) \Rightarrow \sigma = \rho h [/tex]

So [tex]\sigma = 600,000 kg/m^{2}[/tex] Is this right?

He then says that if we call [tex]\vec{r}'[/tex] (r prime) our source vector at point (x',y',0) and [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] the point we are solving the field for at (0,0,h) the equation I wrote under relevant equations becomes

[tex]\vec{g}_{density} = \int_{v}\frac{\sigma(\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^{2} |\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}dx'dy'[/tex] = [tex]-G\sigma h\int_{v} \frac{dx'dy'}{(x'^{2} + y'^{2} + h^{2})^{3/2}} \hat{z}[/tex] (This is given to us)

Now using cylindrical coordinates we can show that this equals:

[tex](g_{z})_{density} = - 2\pi G \sigma h \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{r dr}{(r^{2} + h^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

evaluating this integral I get:

[tex](g_{z})_{density} = -2\pi G \sigma \approx -2.51 * 10^{-4} m/s^{2}[/tex]

So that is the value of g at the top of the plateau. Now for the city he wants us to compute it a different way using the formula:

[tex] g_{z}^{h} = -\frac{GM}{(R + h)^{2}} + \frac{GM}{R^{2}}[/tex] (This describes the change in gravity caused by a change in distance from the center of the earth)

where [tex]\frac{GM}{R^{2}} = g = 9.81 m/s^{2}.[/tex]

With little bit of algebra it can be shown that this can be rewritten as:

[tex] g_{z}^{h} = g(1 - \frac{1}{(1 + \frac{h}{R})^{2}})[/tex]

Now using this formula we can compute g at the city using [tex] R \approx 6 * 10^{-6}m[/tex]. I get [tex] g_{z}^{h} = 9.81 * 10^{-4} m/s^{2}[/tex]

Now did I do something wrong? I don't understand how I get a negative answer for my first g and and a positive for my second.

Thanks in advance,

KEØM

(Any help will be appreciated)

EDIT: Sorry for the long-winded post but I guess if I were to boil it down to one question it would be: Is it wrong that my two values of g are opposite in sign?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted