Comparing Convergence: Testing \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n with Comparision Test

• Thread starter azatkgz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the series \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n where a_n=\frac{1}{ln(n!)} is shown to be divergent by using the comparison test and the mean value theorem. The comparison is made with the series \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac {1}{n ln(n)}, which is also shown to be divergent.
azatkgz

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series [tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n[/tex] absolutely convergent,conditionally convergent or divergent if

[tex]a_n=\frac{1}{ln(n!)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this problem I used Comparision Test,so

[tex]\frac{1}{ln(n!)}<\frac{1}{n}[/tex] for all n>6

So I concluded that this series has finite limit

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
azatkgz said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series [tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n[/tex] if

[tex]a_n=\frac{1}{ln(n!)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this problem I used Comparision Test,so

[tex]\frac{1}{ln(n!)}<\frac{1}{n}[/tex] for all n>6

So I concluded that this series has finite limit

from what u have done, you defenitely cannot conclude whether this series converges or diverges, since the series of 1/n diverges..

Here is how i think u should go about solving this.

since n!<n^n, and using the fact that ln(n) is monotonically increasing we have that

ln(n!)<ln (n^n)=n*ln(n) , or

1/n*ln(n)<1/ln(n!) and now since the series

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} 1/(n ln(n))[/tex] diverges we can conclude that also the series 1/ln(n!) when n goes from 2 to infinity diverges.

Do u know how to show now that the latter series that i wrote

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac {1}{n ln(n)}[/tex]

diverges?

By Integration?

Like [tex]\int \frac{dx}{xlnx}=\int \frac{du}{u}[/tex]

azatkgz said:
By Integration?

Like [tex]\int \frac{dx}{xlnx}=\int \frac{du}{u}[/tex]

well, you could do that too, but remember u are integrating from 2 to infinity. Obviously the integral diverges, so by the Cauchy's integral theorem for the convergence of the series we can conclude that also the serie
[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac {1}{n ln(n)}[/tex]

diverges.

However there is another way, among many others, to show this. It is based on the comparison test and also on the mean value theorem. any way will do.

it goes like this, first we are going to show that the series

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \{ln ln(n+1)-ln ln(n)}[/tex] diverges, this is pretty easy to show that diverges, because the partial sum goes to infinity as n goes to infinity.

now let us use the mean value theorem on the interval [n,n+1] for the function y=lnln(x)

lnln(n+1)-lnln(n)=(lnln(c))' where c is from the interval [n,n+1] let c=a+n, where 0<a<1, it means that c is from the interval (n,n+1), so we have

lnln(n+1)-lnln(n)=1/((a+n)ln(a+n)

so since the series [tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \{ln ln(n+1)-ln ln(n)}[/tex] diverges so will do the serie
[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac {1}{(n+a) ln(n+a)}[/tex]

now since

1/((a+n)ln(a+n)<1/n*ln(n) also the serie [tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac {1}{n ln(n)}[/tex]
diverges.

i hope i was clear enough.
next time, since we are on the homework section, try to give a little more thought on your onw.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of comparing convergence using the comparison test?

The comparison test is used to determine whether a given series, \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n, converges or diverges by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series. This allows us to determine the convergence or divergence of more complicated series by using simpler ones as a reference.

2. How is the comparison test used to compare convergence?

The comparison test states that if 0 \leq a_n \leq b_n for all n and \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}b_n is known to converge, then \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n must also converge. Similarly, if 0 \leq b_n \leq a_n for all n and \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}b_n is known to diverge, then \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n must also diverge.

3. Can the comparison test be used to determine the exact sum of a series?

No, the comparison test only tells us whether a series converges or diverges. It does not provide information about the exact sum of the series.

4. What is the difference between using the comparison test and the limit comparison test?

The limit comparison test is a more general version of the comparison test and can be used to compare series even when the terms do not have a clear relationship. It states that if lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{a_n}{b_n} = c, where c is a finite non-zero number, and \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}b_n is known to converge, then \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n must also converge. The comparison test only applies when the terms have a clear relationship.

5. Are there any other tests that can be used to determine convergence or divergence?

Yes, there are several other tests that can be used to determine convergence or divergence, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. Each of these tests has its own set of conditions and should be used depending on the given series.