Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison of a Black hole?

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    This may sound very silly and a tad bit hard for me to explain, but here goes!

I have experienced and seen how when a lit fire was covered with a container, the oxygen begins to dissipate and it begins to suck things into the space. (I did not light myself on fire!)

So I was wondering if the black hole worked the same way as that, but on a larger scale! Because it seems to always happen when the star is about to die, which i presumed that the hydrogen (not exactly sure) was about to be burned out. And space is acting somewhat like a container since it is a vacuum, which causes the dead star to eventually collapse on itself.

On that note, I have also read from another thread that apparently a black hole stops at some point. If that is true what would you find at the center of the black hole? would it just be a tiny dense matter? or would it just come spilling out(I would assume they would not be physically the same shape anymore)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2
    Your analogy for the black hole is wrong. I could try to explain why, but it would be much better for you to read the wikipedia page instead, as that will also answer your second question.

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

A fire normally sucks cooler air into it from the bottom as the heated air rises. When you extinguish the flame the remaining coals, wood, or whatever was burning is still very hot, leading to a "sucking" in effect.

Black holes do not work like this. As Vorde suggested I would read wikipedia's article.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook