Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison of ghosts between U.S.and U.K.

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    I was reading a rapid reader called The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde.
    According to that US believed less in ghosts in comparison with UK.
    So a question arose in me that why not survey people here and discuss.
    I know Halloween is celebrated there in US. So they also do some scary things.
    My teacher was saying that ghosts are nothing but energy and I don't believe in ghosts.
    See the link for some ghost pics
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/09/why-do-people-believe-in-ghosts/379072/

I also had a question that as U.S. people believe less in ghosts then how
    Centralia, Pennsylvania in US became haunted and how we listen comments like Booya up all night from people like @Evo?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

The article you linked to says 42% of Americans believe in ghosts while 52% of people in the UK believe in them. The article refers to those percentages as "similar," and I tend to agree, in this matter anyway.

If you count the difference as important, then it might be explained by the simple fact that the UK is very much older than the US and has collected a much more extensive body of ghost lore in all that time to which it's inhabitants are exposed from birth. Ghost lore in the UK is probably better established, harder to uproot.

4. Jan 22, 2015 #3
    I agree with Zoobyshoe. As an example, there are many, many reports of WWII airfields being haunted in Great Britain. In the US, only Pearl Harbor and a handful of others come to mind in the US. There are also many reports of "ghost" planes that people see in Great Britain, which I don't really hear of in the US at all.

5. Jan 22, 2015 #4
    I'm talking about way before WWII. When people from England arrived here on the Mayflower (1620) they left a country where every castle and battlefield already had centuries of ghost lore attached to it. Here, there weren't any castles or any history as Europeans recognized it. American ghost lore had to be started from scratch, so to speak.

6. Jan 22, 2015 #5
    Ah, I understand now. Thank you for clarifying.

7. Jan 22, 2015 #6

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Booya?

As in Boo-yah! ?

8. Jan 22, 2015 #7
    Well I was saying to only see the pics from the link but not to read it.
    It's okay if you have read the statistics.
    Your 3rd para explanation explains me though.
    I thought Booya was a word indicating terror from ghosts.
    Now I see it from the video and from some searching, that it has meaning " Oh yeah".

But then @Evo is depicting by the image a ghost and
    Living in Centralia, Pennsylvania.
    From it I have misunderstood the term Booya as terror all night.:nb)
    Is Centralia still haunted?

9. Jan 22, 2015 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't live in Centralia, PA. My response to a friend that said we were up all night was "booya, up all night".

10. Jan 22, 2015 #9
    Ya okay.
    But
    A last question.
    Is Centralia PA still haunted?

I thought US don't believe in ghosts, only 42%

11. Jan 22, 2015 #10

Evo

No, Centralia, PA is not haunted, due to decreasing residents it is close to being rated a "ghost town", that is a town with few residents, but no ghosts.
    Wikipedia

12. Jan 22, 2015 #11
    Okay understood.
    Well I suggest you that instead of Centralis that comes on clicking your tag, you edit it as Centralia.
    Or if it is done on purpose then It's ok.
    Well I am keeping to my words by not asking a question from my second last post. Any comments?

13. Jan 22, 2015 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh that's so sad. When a town loses its people, it becomes a ghost town. But when a ghost town loses its ghosts, what does it become?

14. Jan 22, 2015 #13

Evo

I show Centralis because that is the location I am, not Centralia. That is your mistake.

15. Jan 22, 2015 #14
    Ya ok, I had a lot of misunderstanding but got all the answers of this thread. Thanks to all

16. Jan 23, 2015 #15
    A post ghost town.

17. Jan 24, 2015 #16
    Not since Ghost Hunters began their TV series. Well, maybe it's not so much that people believe in ghosts, as that they want to see one. Several years ago, there were 65 ghost hunting groups in Washington state. And wouldn't you know, none in the area I Iive in. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook