Will These Integrals Converge or Diverge as x Approaches Infinity?

In summary, the integrals in the box above converge for some values of p and diverge for other values of p.
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

Use the box and the behavior of rational and exponential functions as [tex] x \rightarrow \infty [/tex] to predict whether the integrals converge or diverge.

Here is the box:
[tex] \int^\infty_1 \frac{1}{x^p} dx [/tex] converges for p > 1 and diverges for p < 1.

[tex] \int^1_0 \frac{1}{x^p} dx [/tex] converges for p < 1 and diverges for p > 1.

[tex] \int^\infty_0 e^{-ax} dx [/tex] converges for a > 0.

Problem 1:
[tex] \int^\infty_1 \frac{x^2}{x^4 + 1} dx [/tex]

Problem 2:
[tex] \int^\infty_1 \frac{x^2 - 6x + 1}{x^2 + 4} dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

The ones in the box above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 1:
I know that this integral is less than [tex] \int^\infty_1 \frac{1}{x} dx [/tex]. I also know that [tex] \int^\infty_1 \frac{1}{x} dx [/tex] diverges. This does not help me though because I can not use a diverging integral to say that a smaller integral is also diverging. This is where I'm confused.

Problem 2:
I know that this integral is less than [tex] \int^\infty_1 1 dx [/tex] I also know that [tex] \int^\infty_1 1 dx [/tex] diverges. This does not help me though because I can not use a diverging integral to say that a smaller integral is also diverging. So, I'm confused at the same place on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
For problem 1, isn't (x^2)/((x^4)+1) always less than 1/(x^2) for values of x > 1?

For problem 2, what does the integrand approach as x approaches infinity?

[tex]\frac{x^2}{x^4+1}< \frac{x^2}{x^4}= \frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

For the second one, divide first:
[tex]\frac{x^2+ 6x+ 1}{x^2+ 4}= 1+ \frac{6x- 3}{x^2+ 4}[/itex]
What does that first "1" tell you?

Oops, I copied down the wrong first problem.

The second one was correct though.

I understand the first one, thanks for that.

I still don't understand what you mean by what does the first "1" tell me.

Wait, does that mean.. that my integral is bigger than the integral of 1, so if the integral of 1 diverges, I can say that my integral also diverges!

woot!

Thanks!

I'm going to post the correct problem for #1, in a new post. Thanks.

What is the purpose of comparing integrals?

The purpose of comparing integrals is to determine if two or more functions have the same area under the curve. This can help in understanding the behavior and relationships between functions, as well as in solving problems in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

What are the different methods for comparing integrals?

There are several methods for comparing integrals, including the use of the Comparison Theorem, the Limit Comparison Test, and the Ratio Test. These methods involve comparing the values of integrals or the behavior of functions at different points to determine if they are equal, smaller, or larger than one another.

How do you use the Comparison Theorem to compare integrals?

The Comparison Theorem states that if two functions have the same behavior and their integrals have the same limits of integration, then their integrals will also have the same value. This can be used to compare integrals by finding a simpler function that is greater than or less than the original function and using the Comparison Theorem to determine the relationship between their integrals.

What is the purpose of the Limit Comparison Test in comparing integrals?

The Limit Comparison Test is used to determine if two functions are equal, smaller, or larger than one another by taking the limit of the ratio of the two functions. If the limit is a finite non-zero number, then the two functions have the same behavior and their integrals will have the same value. This method is useful for comparing functions that cannot be easily integrated.

How is the Ratio Test used to compare integrals?

The Ratio Test is used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing the values of the terms in the series to the values of a geometric series. This can also be used to compare integrals by rewriting them as series and applying the Ratio Test to determine if they have the same behavior and therefore the same value.