Which European Master's Programs Are Best for Theoretical Particle Physics?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on potential graduate programs in theoretical particle physics in both the USA and Europe. They have narrowed down their options to top-tier programs and are open to suggestions. They have also asked for opinions on the difference between programs that are focused solely on theoretical physics versus those that include both theoretical and experimental classes, and whether obtaining a master's degree in Europe would affect their chances of being accepted into a PhD program in the USA. The expert responded by explaining that the length of a PhD program in the USA depends on meeting all requirements and obtaining approval from an advisor, and that each school has different requirements. They also recommended reading the essay "So You Want To Be A Physicist" for more information and declined to
aristotelis2
hello everyone,

i am currently a physics undergraduate in europe and i am thinking about possible graduate studies either in usa or europe.i want to study theoretical particle physics(string theory,quantum fileds,cosmpology etc.). my first choice is a phd in usa. but as an alternative i am thinking about a master degree in europe(and then a phd). i have narrowed down my options to some master programmes and i would like your opinions on these programmes. all of these proggrames are considered top-tier (or at least that's what i think) . the programmes are:

-cambridge part 3 (theoretical physics)
-Oxford Master Course in Mathematical and Theoretical Physics
-imperial quantum fields and fundamental forces
-durham M.Sc. in Particles, Strings and Cosmology
-LMU munich elite master course in theoretical and mathematical physics
-eth zurich Msci in physics or Msci in high energy physics
-ecole de lozanne Msci in physics
-ecole polytechnique high energy physics
-ecole normale superieure ICPF masters program

i would really appreciate any opinion or thought about the programmes, or any ither programme that you believe that it would be appropriate. what do you suggest?

i would also like to ask two more questions:

as far as i know the first five programmes are only towards theoretical physics. i mean that in these programmes the courses someone must take are like string theory , standard model etc...no labwork...
in the last four programmes (in switzerland and france) the programmes aren't so specific and someone must take both theoretical and experimental classes along with elections towards the personal goal. what do you think would be more appropriate??or it doesn't matter?personally i prefer a programme more specific towards theoretical physics but i don't know whether that is better or not.

and the last question:

as i said above my first choice is a phd in usa. but i am afraid that entry requirements are a lot more difficult in top tier usa programmes. if i obtain a master's degree from europe could i become accepted for phd in usa only for the three years (like in europe) or i am obliged to do a 5-yead phd even after a master's?thanks you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
aristotelis2 said:
as i said above my first choice is a phd in usa. but i am afraid that entry requirements are a lot more difficult in top tier usa programmes. if i obtain a master's degree from europe could i become accepted for phd in usa only for the three years (like in europe) or i am obliged to do a 5-yead phd even after a master's?

You need to understand that there is no set time for the completion of such a degree here in the US. You can do it as fast as you want as long as you fulfill all the requirements and get approval of your advisor. Period!

Now, that may sound simple, but "fulfill all your requirement" isn't trivial, because it means that you have done, among other things, a sufficiently high level of original, research work with approval from your advisor, wrote and defended your thesis. Each school here in the US has different sets of requirements for a PhD, and you must fulfill all of them.

Zz.

Likes aristotelis2
thanks for your reply. it really made me understand how it works.so basically it depends on the advisor , the university and my thesis.it is made a bit clear now. could you give any feedback about the programmes?or about my other question? thanks a lot anyway.

aristotelis2 said:
thanks for your reply. it really made me understand how it works.so basically it depends on the advisor , the university and my thesis.it is made a bit clear now. could you give any feedback about the programmes?or about my other question? thanks a lot anyway.

Have you read my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay?

And it would be silly for me to comment on the other part of your question since I have no intimate knowledge of programs in Europe.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Have you read my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay?

And it would be silly for me to comment on the other part of your question since I have no intimate knowledge of programs in Europe.

Zz.

yes i have read it.ok thanks a lot.

1. What is the difference between a Master of Science in Physics and a Master of Engineering in Physics?

A Master of Science in Physics typically focuses on theoretical and research-based coursework, while a Master of Engineering in Physics has a more practical and applied approach. Additionally, a Master of Science in Physics may require a thesis, while a Master of Engineering in Physics may require a final project or internship.

2. Can I pursue a Master of Science in Physics without a background in physics?

It is possible, but not recommended. Most programs require applicants to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, as well as relevant coursework in other science fields such as chemistry and biology. It is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals before pursuing a master's degree in physics.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a Master of Science in Physics?

The length of a master's program can vary, but it typically takes two years of full-time study to complete a Master of Science in Physics. Some programs may offer an accelerated option or allow students to take courses on a part-time basis.

4. What can I do with a Master of Science in Physics?

With a Master of Science in Physics, you can pursue a career in research, academia, or industry. Many graduates go on to work as physicists, research scientists, or engineers in various fields such as aerospace, energy, or technology. Some may also continue their education and pursue a doctoral degree in physics.

5. Are there any specific requirements for admission into a Master of Science in Physics program?

Requirements for admission may vary between programs, but most will require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a strong personal statement. Some programs may also require GRE scores and a minimum GPA. It is important to research and carefully review the specific requirements for each program you are interested in.