Comparison Test Problem

In summary: But for the second one, it should be √(n+1)/2n^2+n+1 < 2(n+1)^2 instead of 2n(n+1). This is because you want to make sure the denominator of the comparison series is always larger than the original series, and (n+1)^2 > 2n^2+n+1 for all n.
JRangel42

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series converges or diverges.

What I would like is some type of information on how to continue the problem.

Homework Equations

Ʃ √(n+1)/2n^2+n+1
n=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of doing a comparison test by doing

√(n+1)/2n^2+n+1 < √(n+1)/2n^2 or √(n+1)/2n^2+n+1 < 2n(n+1)

After that, I end up being stumped by the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember what the Comparison Theorem states:

Suppose that we have two series Ʃa and Ʃb with an,bn≥0 for all n and bn≥ an for all n. Then,

If Ʃb is convergent then so is Ʃa .
If Ʃa is divergent then so is Ʃb .

So let 1/2n2 be Ʃb. Since Ʃb is greater than the given series and we know it converges because of p-series, what can we assume about the original series?

JRangel42 said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series converges or diverges.

What I would like is some type of information on how to continue the problem.

Homework Equations

Ʃ √(n+1)/2n^2+n+1
n=1
You need more parentheses. Without them, the expression in your sum does not mean what you think. A literal reading would give this:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{n+1}}{2}\cdot n^2 + n + 1[/tex]

Since your intent was that 2n2 + n + 1 was in the denominator, write the expression being summed like this:
√(n+1)/(2n^2+n+1)

JRangel42 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of doing a comparison test by doing

√(n+1)/2n^2+n+1 < √(n+1)/2n^2 or √(n+1)/2n^2+n+1 < 2n(n+1)

After that, I end up being stumped by the problem.
How did you get this one? √(n+1)/2n^2+n+1 < 2n(n+1)
You're on the right track with the first inequality.

What is a Comparison Test Problem?

A Comparison Test Problem is a type of mathematical problem used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves comparing the given series to another known series to determine if they have similar behaviors.

How is a Comparison Test Problem solved?

A Comparison Test Problem is typically solved by first finding a known series that has a similar behavior to the given series. Then, the properties and behaviors of the known series are used to make conclusions about the given series.

What is the purpose of a Comparison Test Problem?

The purpose of a Comparison Test Problem is to determine the convergence or divergence of a given series, which is important in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps to understand the behavior and patterns of infinite series.

What are the different types of Comparison Test Problems?

There are two main types of Comparison Test Problems: the Limit Comparison Test and the Direct Comparison Test. The Limit Comparison Test involves taking the limit of the ratio of two series to determine their behavior, while the Direct Comparison Test involves directly comparing the two series term by term.

What are some common mistakes made when solving a Comparison Test Problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving a Comparison Test Problem include using the wrong comparison series, not considering the absolute values of terms, and incorrectly applying the properties of the known series to the given series. It is important to carefully select the comparison series and pay attention to the details of the problem to avoid these mistakes.