1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison Test

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    Test each of the following series for convergence by either the Comparison Test or the Limit Comparison Test.

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{2n^4}{n^5+7}[/tex] this diverges using the p-series and comparison test right? p <1

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{2n^4}{n^9+7}[/tex] and this converges right? because p > 1

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{-1^n}{9n}[/tex] i think this also diverges cause p <1. (not sure about this one)

can someone check these real quick and tell me if im correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2
    First one, P = 1, it diverges.

2 is correct.

Hint for the last one

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} - \frac{1^n}{9n} [/tex]

Whats [itex] 1^n [/itex] for positive n? It should be easy after that.
  4. Apr 29, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suspect he meant [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} -\frac{(-1)^n}{9n} [/tex] for the last one. That converges because it is an alternating series with terms going to 0.
  5. Apr 29, 2005 #4
    I was going to make that suggestion, but since his post mentions the comparison test, I decided that the way he originally posted was likely the way that he meant it (since the comparison test can't be used for conditionally convergent series).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?