1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison Test

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    Each of the following statements is an attempt to show that a given series is convergent or divergent using the Comparison Test (NOT the Limit Comparison Test.) For each statement, enter C (for "correct") if the argument is valid, or enter I (for "incorrect") if any part of the argument is flawed. (Note: if the conclusion is true but the argument that led to it was wrong, you must enter I.)

A.) for n > 2, [tex]\frac{n}{n^3-4}[/tex] < [tex]\frac{2}{n^2}[/tex], and the series [tex]2\sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converges, so by the comparison test, the series [tex]\sum \frac{n}{n^3-4}[/tex] converges

B.) for n > 2, [tex]\frac{ln(n)}{n^2}[/tex] > [tex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex], and the series [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converges, so by the comparison test, the series [tex]\sum \frac{ln(n)}{n^2}[/tex] converges

C.) for n > 2, [tex]\frac{1}{n^2-6}[/tex] < [tex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex], and the series [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converges, so by the comparison test, the series [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^2-6}[/tex] converges

For A.) and C.) sounds true, by the p-series, both converges so that means mean the original series converges, so A.) and C.) are True right?

and B.) I also think it's true by the p-series.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2
    Certainly all the series converge (assuming they start at [itex]n \geq 1[/itex]). I want you to look much more closely at the arguments they present though, and see if you can find anything wrong with any of them.
  4. Apr 30, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I pulled my reply because it seemed inappropriate after yours, which I did not know was going to be there. I didn't check their claimed inequality- a serious oversight on my part.
  5. Apr 30, 2005 #4
    Actually, before I deleted mine I fixed it a little - their argument for A is ok (originally I somehow read it as n^2 in the denominator, or something - but even that doesn't make sense, because I still thought it would converge! Strange, this brain of mine is).
  6. Apr 30, 2005 #5
    so A is false because there is a 2 in front of the 'sum of' sign(which you cant do)? and B and C are true?
  7. Apr 30, 2005 #6
    no. A is correct (of course putting the 2 in front doesn't matter! The sum itself is just a number, like any other). Look at our previous posts and then look carefully at the arguments for B and C. Why do you think they are correct?
  8. Apr 30, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a given series A, converges and you compare it against another series say B, in which each member of B is LARGER than A then nothing can be said for the series B.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?