Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Comparison Test

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    Each of the following statements is an attempt to show that a given series is convergent or divergent using the Comparison Test (NOT the Limit Comparison Test.) For each statement, enter C (for "correct") if the argument is valid, or enter I (for "incorrect") if any part of the argument is flawed. (Note: if the conclusion is true but the argument that led to it was wrong, you must enter I.)

A.) for n > 2, [tex]\frac{n}{n^3-4}[/tex] < [tex]\frac{2}{n^2}[/tex], and the series [tex]2\sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converges, so by the comparison test, the series [tex]\sum \frac{n}{n^3-4}[/tex] converges

B.) for n > 2, [tex]\frac{ln(n)}{n^2}[/tex] > [tex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex], and the series [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converges, so by the comparison test, the series [tex]\sum \frac{ln(n)}{n^2}[/tex] converges

C.) for n > 2, [tex]\frac{1}{n^2-6}[/tex] < [tex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex], and the series [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converges, so by the comparison test, the series [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^2-6}[/tex] converges

For A.) and C.) sounds true, by the p-series, both converges so that means mean the original series converges, so A.) and C.) are True right?

and B.) I also think it's true by the p-series.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2
    Certainly all the series converge (assuming they start at [itex]n \geq 1[/itex]). I want you to look much more closely at the arguments they present though, and see if you can find anything wrong with any of them.

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I pulled my reply because it seemed inappropriate after yours, which I did not know was going to be there. I didn't check their claimed inequality- a serious oversight on my part.

5. Apr 30, 2005 #4
    Actually, before I deleted mine I fixed it a little - their argument for A is ok (originally I somehow read it as n^2 in the denominator, or something - but even that doesn't make sense, because I still thought it would converge! Strange, this brain of mine is).

6. Apr 30, 2005 #5
    so A is false because there is a 2 in front of the 'sum of' sign(which you cant do)? and B and C are true?

7. Apr 30, 2005 #6
    no. A is correct (of course putting the 2 in front doesn't matter! The sum itself is just a number, like any other). Look at our previous posts and then look carefully at the arguments for B and C. Why do you think they are correct?

8. Apr 30, 2005 #7

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a given series A, converges and you compare it against another series say B, in which each member of B is LARGER than A then nothing can be said for the series B.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook