1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison tests for series

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n\sqrt{n^2-1}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    direct comparison test
    limit comparison test

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i kind of cheated and looked at the back of my book and it says to compare with [itex]\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}[/itex]
    so i tried using the direct comparison test and tried to show that the original series converges if [tex]\frac{1}{n\sqrt{n^2-1}}<\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}[/tex] since [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}[/tex] is a convergent p-series test
    i just dont know how to actually show [tex]\frac{1}{n\sqrt{n^2-1}}<\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}[/tex]
    or am i using the wrong test? limit comparison? by the way the only tests i've covered in my class are the divergence, p-series, integral, direct comparison, limit comparison tests and geometric and telescoping series

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    you know that [itex]n^{3/2} =n\sqrt{n}[/itex], right?
    now
    [tex]
    n \sqrt{n} < n \sqrt{n^2-1}[/tex]
    [tex]
    \sqrt{n} < \sqrt{n^2-1}[/tex]
    [tex]
    n < n^2-1[/tex]

which is valid for all n >= 2

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since [itex]n\sqrt{n^2-1}[/itex] is of order [itex]n^2[/itex] this suggests the very easy limit comparison test with [itex]\sum\frac 1 {n^2}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook