Can the Limit Comparison Test Determine the Convergence of this Series?

In summary, the given series can be compared to \sum\frac 1 {n^2} using the limit comparison test, which shows that it converges.
miglo

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n\sqrt{n^2-1}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

direct comparison test
limit comparison test

The Attempt at a Solution

so i kind of cheated and looked at the back of my book and it says to compare with [itex]\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}[/itex]
so i tried using the direct comparison test and tried to show that the original series converges if [tex]\frac{1}{n\sqrt{n^2-1}}<\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}[/tex] since [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}[/tex] is a convergent p-series test
i just don't know how to actually show [tex]\frac{1}{n\sqrt{n^2-1}}<\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}[/tex]
or am i using the wrong test? limit comparison? by the way the only tests I've covered in my class are the divergence, p-series, integral, direct comparison, limit comparison tests and geometric and telescoping series

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you know that [itex]n^{3/2} =n\sqrt{n}[/itex], right?
now
[tex]
n \sqrt{n} < n \sqrt{n^2-1}[/tex]
[tex]
\sqrt{n} < \sqrt{n^2-1}[/tex]
[tex]
n < n^2-1[/tex]

which is valid for all n >= 2

Since [itex]n\sqrt{n^2-1}[/itex] is of order [itex]n^2[/itex] this suggests the very easy limit comparison test with [itex]\sum\frac 1 {n^2}[/itex].

1. What is the purpose of comparison tests for series?

Comparison tests for series are used to determine the convergence or divergence of a given series. They involve comparing the given series with a known series whose convergence or divergence is already known.

2. What are the different types of comparison tests for series?

The main types of comparison tests for series are the direct comparison test, limit comparison test, and ratio test. The direct comparison test involves comparing the given series with a known series that has the same or similar behavior. The limit comparison test involves taking the limit of the ratio of the given series to a known series. The ratio test involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the given series.

3. How do I know which comparison test to use?

The choice of comparison test depends on the given series and the known series that will be used for comparison. It is important to choose a known series that has the same or similar behavior as the given series. If the given series has positive terms, the direct comparison test or ratio test can be used. If the given series has both positive and negative terms, the limit comparison test is typically used.

4. Can comparison tests for series be used to determine the sum of a series?

No, comparison tests for series are used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, not its sum. To find the sum of a series, other methods such as the geometric series test or telescoping series test can be used.

5. Are there any limitations to using comparison tests for series?

Yes, comparison tests for series are not always conclusive and may not work for all series. In some cases, they may give inconclusive results or may require additional techniques to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It is important to carefully choose the known series to be used for comparison and consider other factors such as the properties of the given series before using comparison tests.