Comparison Theorem: Convergence of Integral from 0-->1

In summary, the problem is determining the convergence or divergence of the integral of e^-x / sqrt x dx from 0 to 1 using the Comparison Theorem. One solution suggests that it is convergent by setting the original integral less than or equal to the integral of 1/(e^x) dx. However, this is not true because on the interval (0,1), e^-x / sqrt x > e^-x. The correct solution is to set the original integral less than or equal to 1/sqrt x, and solving for that yields 2, indicating that the integral is convergent.
fk378

Homework Statement

Use the Comparison Theorem to determine whether the integral below is convergent or divergent:

e^-x / sqrt x dx integrated from 0-->1

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it is convergent because 1/e^x is convergent. I set the original integral less than or equal to the integral of 1/(e^x) dx

When I solved for it, I got -1/e + 1, therefore it is convergent. However, my professor marked my paper as saying it's not true. He set the original integral less than or equal to 1/sqrt x, and solving for that, got 2. Why can't my comparison hold true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because it's not true in (0,1] that e^-x / sqrt x <e^-x

Your comparison doesn't hold true because on (0,1), we have that

[tex] \frac{e^{-x}}{\sqrt{x}} > e^{-x} [/tex]

This follows from the fact that on (0,1), [itex] \sqrt{x}< 1 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} > 1} [/itex]

Haha, barely beaten to it. I knew I shouldn't have wasted my time previewing the post :tongue:

1. What is the Comparison Theorem and how does it relate to the convergence of integrals from 0 to 1?

The Comparison Theorem is a mathematical tool used to determine the convergence or divergence of integrals. It states that if the absolute value of the integrand is always less than or equal to another function which is known to converge, then the original integral must also converge. This can be applied to integrals from 0 to 1 by comparing them to known convergent integrals over the same interval.

2. How do you use the Comparison Theorem to prove the convergence of an integral from 0 to 1?

To use the Comparison Theorem, you must compare the integrand of the given integral to another function that is known to converge over the same interval. If the absolute value of the integrand is always less than or equal to the known convergent function, then the integral must also converge.

3. Can the Comparison Theorem be used to prove the divergence of an integral from 0 to 1?

Yes, the Comparison Theorem can also be used to prove the divergence of an integral from 0 to 1. If the absolute value of the integrand is always greater than or equal to a known divergent function over the same interval, then the integral must also diverge.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Comparison Theorem for integrals from 0 to 1?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Comparison Theorem for integrals from 0 to 1. The theorem can only be applied when the integrand is positive and continuous over the interval. It also cannot be used for improper integrals, where one or both of the integration limits are infinite.

5. Can the Comparison Theorem be used for integrals over intervals other than 0 to 1?

Yes, the Comparison Theorem can be used for integrals over any interval, as long as the integrand is positive and continuous. However, it is most commonly used for integrals from 0 to 1 because this interval is often difficult to evaluate using other methods.