Compatability of physics equations

• Thread starter General_Relativity19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the equations are compatible because all physicists use a common set of units which describe such things as velocity and energy and time. Additionally, two equations can be incompatible if their units are different. However, the two equations can be compatible if they are taken in the correct context.
General_Relativity19
I've recently been researching Einstein's Theory of Relativity and the compatability with other physics equations i.e Lorentz Transformations, Schrodingers Equation etc. How do physicists famous or not know that each equation they invent are compatabile with one another? Because some of the equations I've seen have used Einsteins equation E=MC^2 in some way. Is it because their equations involved an element of Einstein's equation that their equation would be tested and accepted by other people? I know there are two versions of some equations, one dimension and the third dimension. Aint there a two dimensional version of an equation? if so, which is it? just curious. I do not know physics that well as I am still learning, it was just a question which came into my mind. I've come across a lot of equations, some which look very complex, but i know it will take me along time to understand but i will get there eventually.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason most physics euations are compatible is that all physicists use a common set of units which describe such things as velocity and energy and time. For example time is measured in seconds and energy is measured in Joules, then any equation relating time in seconds and energy in Joules will be compatible.

Kurdt said:
The reason most physics euations are compatible is that all physicists use a common set of units which describe such things as velocity and energy and time. For example time is measured in seconds and energy is measured in Joules, then any equation relating time in seconds and energy in Joules will be compatible.

Whoa! There's more to the compability between two equations in physics than their units. The two equations x' = x-vt and x' = gamma(x-vt) are about as incompatible as you can get, but the units are fine.

Ok there's the context they're taken in as well but essentially you wouldn't try to use galilean transforms in a relativistic situation.

The endeavor of Physics is to apply Mathematics to our observations of the world. So underlying all of modern Physics is mathematics, this provides a consistent basis for all physics equations. Now since we are attempting to developer mathematics which model the universe we can expect correct models to conform to the universe we are modeling. Thus the consistency of Physics is based on the consistency of the universe. Mathematical models based on physical observation and sound mathematics are consistent and useful.

I disagree that the Galilean transform is inconsistent with Relativity, simply let v<<c and drop higher order terms, what is left is Newtonian physics with Galilean transforms. Also there are 2 models of Thermodynamics, one the microscopic view the other the Macroscopic view, but once again when viewed in the appropriate limits they make the same predictions.

Currently GR and QM do not agree in the limit so each must be applied carefully and with full understanding of the limits of application.

Consistency of Physical theories come from carefully derivation from 1st principles and mathematics.

Well if we agree to say that at least it has something to do with how you apply the equations, as in when they are relevant. For example Galilean trasforms are fine when you have v<<c and relativity is more useful for high energy particles, and that we can always determine a constant to interpret results in different units.

The maths then is the underlying cause of conformity, but personally I always hate converting units.

1. What is the meaning of compatibility of physics equations?

The compatibility of physics equations refers to the ability of different equations to be used together in a consistent and meaningful way. This means that the equations must be mathematically and conceptually compatible, and they should be able to be applied to the same physical system.

2. How do you determine if two physics equations are compatible?

To determine compatibility, one must first analyze the mathematical form and physical meaning of each equation. The equations should have the same units, and the variables should represent the same physical quantities. Additionally, the equations should not contradict each other and should be able to be used in the same physical scenarios.

3. Can two equations from different branches of physics be compatible?

Yes, equations from different branches of physics can be compatible. While they may have different physical meanings and units, they can still be used together to describe a physical system as long as they do not contradict each other and can be applied to the same scenario.

4. Are there any cases where two equations are not compatible?

Yes, there are cases where two equations may not be compatible. This can happen if the equations have different units, contradict each other, or cannot be applied to the same physical system. It is important to carefully analyze the equations to determine compatibility.

5. Why is it important to ensure compatibility of physics equations?

Ensuring compatibility of physics equations is important because it allows for a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of a physical system. It also helps to avoid contradictions and errors in calculations. Additionally, compatible equations can be combined and used together to solve more complex problems in physics.