Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compensating for a deviation in uniform distribution?

1. Aug 20, 2014 #1
    I am attempting to calculate the even distribution of units sale across a predefined range with a final average value in the exact middle of that range. In an ideal scenario I would calculate this as a uniform distribution and every unit would be sold in the desired quantity at the intended price with an expected final average value directly in the middle of the range as intended.

Initial Market Value = $5000

Number of Units = 200

Sale range = $50 - $1 (Starting at $50 and descending in whole dollar increments)

Desired Result = $25 average sale price ​

The issue I run into is assume the market price is at $35 I should only have 140 units remaining, but instead I’ve only sold 40 units at an average of $42.5. If I sell the remaining units across the remainder of the range for an average of $17.5 I come up $2.5 short of my desired average sale price.

($42.5 x 40) + ($17.5 x 160) = ($4500 / 200) = $22.5 average sale price

What I am trying to figure out is how I calculate my remaining inventory sales so that I can come as close as possible to my desired average sale price whilst still maintaining as uniform of a distribution across the remainder of the range as possible.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2014 #2
    Moderator - please delete this thread

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook