Compensation Doping: Adding Boron Atoms

• Thread starter jisbon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doping
In summary, compensation doping is a process that involves intentionally adding impurities to a material in order to balance out the presence of other impurities. This is commonly done in semiconductors to control their electrical properties. By adding boron atoms, which have one less valence electron than other impurities, the overall charge of the material can be balanced. This allows for precise control of the material's electrical properties, resulting in improved device performance and reliability. Compensation doping with boron atoms is commonly used in the production of electronic devices and specialized materials for sensors and detectors. However, there are potential drawbacks, such as introducing defects in the material and the complexity of the process.
jisbon
Homework Statement
The intrinsic carrier concentration of silicon at room temperature is ##1.43*10^{10}## per cubic centimeter
If boron atoms with the concentration of ##3*10^{17}##per cubic centimeter are added to the intrinsic Si, estimate the electron and hole concentration at room temperature.
Relevant Equations
Intrinsic: n=p=ni
Extrinisc: np=ni^2
Hi all,

So I'm confused how do I do this question when I add boron atoms. This is my take/attempt on this question though.

Since there are much more boron atoms per cubic centimeters as compared to the number of holes, can I assume that p = ##3*10^{17}## now, and simply find n by using np=ni^2 whereby n = ##(1.43*10^{10})^2 / 3*10^{17}## ?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

1. What is compensation doping?

Compensation doping is a process in which impurity atoms are intentionally added to a material to balance out the number of electrons and holes, resulting in a more stable and controllable electrical conductivity.

2. How does adding boron atoms affect the material's properties?

Boron atoms have one less valence electron than the atoms of the material they are added to. This creates "holes" in the material, which can balance out the excess electrons and improve its electrical conductivity.

3. What materials are commonly used for compensation doping with boron?

Silicon and germanium are the most commonly used materials for compensation doping with boron. They are both widely used in electronic devices due to their semiconducting properties and compatibility with boron atoms.

4. What are the benefits of compensation doping with boron?

Compensation doping with boron can improve the electrical conductivity of a material, making it more suitable for use in electronic devices. It can also stabilize the material's properties, making it easier to control and manipulate in manufacturing processes.

5. Are there any drawbacks to compensation doping with boron?

One potential drawback of compensation doping with boron is that it can introduce defects in the material, which can affect its overall performance. Additionally, the process of adding boron atoms can be complex and may require specialized equipment and techniques.