Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complaining about mentors

1. Aug 22, 2004 #1
    i'm really surprised that even here some people publically chastise mentors on these excellent forums. mentors are volunteers and are maintaining a standard here. they are doing the job that they are supposed to be doing.

if there is a disagreement, surely it can be handled via PM or the matter can even be taken up with the site admin in a civilized and courteous manner. public criticism is both inappropriate and unkind.

it is unfortunate, in my humblest opinion and experience, for anyone to be complaining on these forums in this fashion, literally accusing mentors of violating some inalienable rights supposedly owed us, simply because we have been granted the privilege of typing a few words on a screen.

i think it much preferable to show our gratitude towards people who give their time and energy in making these forums a better place instead of irately accusing them of violating this precious freedom of screech.

in friendship,
    prad

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2004 #2
    if there is a disagreement, surely it can be handled via PM or the matter can even be taken up with the site admin in a civilized and courteous manner. public criticism is both inappropriate and unkind.

Have you ever tried your own reccomendation? I have asked on several occassions, for an explanation of the treatment I have recieved, by email to the mentor concerned, I have yet to receive a reply.

Some time ago I received 'warning number 7' I have not yet received notification of warnings 1 to 6. No reply to request for explanation.

I was banned without reason or notification from posting new threads to all forums, no reply to request for explanation. I am still banned from Theory Development, where my old thread has been closed, again without any reason being given.

Look at the comments about Theory Development made by mentors and ask yourself if it represents the sort of atitude required to judge entries.

I have been imformed that my work has been used for debate by two higher education schools and one amateur science debating group. I have also received one correction from a leading astrophysicist when I quoted him incorrectly; this indicates that my work cannot be wholly without merit; except in the opinion of PF mentors.

When voluntary subscritions were requested I made a small donation , but it was what I could afford, now we are asked for regular subscriptions but is the service going to treat regular subscribers any better?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2004
  4. Sep 4, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I cannot comment on the rest, but you did not receive warning number 7: you received a warning that counts as 7 points (there is a 15 point limit).

If you can't resolve a matter with a mentor, contact the site administrator or start a topic in the feedback forum. Starting a topic doesn't mean attacking a mentor, but rather ask for a clarification of the situation.

5. Sep 5, 2004 #4
    Thank-you for this limited reply, if only other mentors made the same effort perhaps I could make some progress, at present I am still looking for another way of getting a debate going.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?