1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complementary sets

1. Jan 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If n(A - B) = 5, n(A' - B) = 4, n(A') = 10, n(B'-A') = 12. What is n(AUB) = ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a big rectangle and inside 2 intersected diagrams A and B. I drew 5 dots in the (( of diagram A. Now that A' is complementary that means they have nothing in common, so I drew 5 dots outside of the diagrams(inside the rectangle).
    n(B' - A') = 12. If A' = 10. B' = 2?

About the question above. NOTHING else is given, just that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

so start with the venn diagram and put in the numbers you know and for (A intersection B) put in an X and try to use your logic to figure out the counts for the four areas and then the A union B should be obvious.

4. Jan 10, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're assuming that the two sets intersect, which might not be true, based on the given information.

I think there are four possibilities:
    1) A and B are disjoint (no common members)
    2) A and B intersect for some members, but not all of them (i.e., some members of A aren't also in B, and vice versa)
    3) A is completely contained in B
    4) B is completely contained in A

Draw a Venn diagram for each of these scenarios. For each one identify the sets A - B, A' - B, A', and B' - A'. See if you can sprinkle your dots so that the four given conditions are met. You should then be able to determine n(A U B).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook