Complete Induction -- How to remove my subscription to this very old thread?

• Thread starter lovemake1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that all binary strings that begin and end with the same number have an even number of occurrences of substrings from {0,1}. It is suggested to use claims about strings that start and end with different bits. The homework equations are provided as examples, but they do not seem to make sense. The attempted solution involves an induction hypothesis and a mathematical proof, but the OP feels that they may have explained too much in English. The thread has been inactive for 9 years.
lovemake1

Homework Statement

Question asks to prove that all binary string that begins and ends with the same number(bit) has an even number of occurences of substrings from {0,1}

Hint: you may find useful to combine claims about strings that start and end with different bit

Homework Equations

{0} = {} since 0 is a multiple of 2 it holds.
{11} = {} since 0 is a multiple of 2 it holds.
eg 010010 = (01), (10), (01) (10)

The Attempt at a Solution

My induction hypothesis was, for all natural number n, assume that p(j) holds for some integer j such that 0 <= j < n, that is a binary string with length j that begins and ends with the same bit has an even number of ooccurences of substrings from {0,1}

so, let j = n - 1 and by I.H we know that p(j) holds.
j, begins and ends with the same bit. and can be represented like so, P(j) = 2t for some integer multiple t. since 1st and last digit of j is the same, we know if n = jlast then there are no additional sets created so the equation will still be p(n) = 2t + 0;

but if we were to add n != jlast, then there would be 1 extra subset at the end since ...01 or ...10 will take place. therefore, the equation will now be p(n) = 2t + 1; even number + odd = odd. hence we've shown that for all n, if first and last digit of string is the same, there are even number of substrings from {0,1}

I feel like I have done too much explaining in english and not enough mathenatical proof.
is there somewhere I went too far? help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
@moderators Short of ignoring the OP, is there any way to make this (formerly) unanswered question disappear from my feed? The question makes no sense. The homework equations make no sense. The attempted answer makes no sense. The OP has not been seen in 9 years.

Prof B said:
@moderators Short of ignoring the OP, is there any way to make this (formerly) unanswered question disappear from my feed? The question makes no sense. The homework equations make no sense. The attempted answer makes no sense. The OP has not been seen in 9 years.

You should be able to just click the Unwatch link in the upper right corner of the thread. Does that work for you?

1653331555658.png

I see now. Thank you.

Likes berkeman

1. How do I cancel my subscription to this old thread?

To cancel your subscription, simply click on the "Unsubscribe" or "Cancel Subscription" button located at the bottom of the email notification for the thread. This will remove you from receiving any further notifications about the thread.

2. Can I still access the thread after I cancel my subscription?

Yes, you can still access the thread even after you cancel your subscription. You can bookmark the thread or save the link for future reference.

3. Will my personal information be removed when I cancel my subscription?

Yes, your personal information will be removed from our system when you cancel your subscription. This includes your email address and any other information you provided when subscribing to the thread.

4. Can I resubscribe to the thread after I cancel my subscription?

Yes, you can resubscribe to the thread at any time by clicking on the "Subscribe" button on the thread's page. This will re-add you to the email notification list for the thread.

5. How long does it take for my subscription to be cancelled?

Your subscription will be cancelled immediately after you click on the "Unsubscribe" or "Cancel Subscription" button. You should no longer receive any email notifications for the thread after that.