1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complete Logarithmic forumlas

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find as much as a complete logarithmic formulas worksheet or tutorials

I have not been in school for atleast 2 semesters and the class im taking right now makes use of the basic logarithmic functions, not to complicated from what the teacher has told us. I do not remeber anything about logarithms tho so i need to refresh my memory. Im looking for the basic logarithmic formulas(properties) maybe from a website link, a worksheet or a tutorial site online? I appreciate the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here ya go...

The most basic formula is the equivalence between exponental and logarithmic equations:

[itex]y=a^x[/itex] if and only if [itex]log_a(y)=x[/itex]

Next we have:

[itex]\log_b(xy)=\log_b(x)+\log_b(y)[/itex]
    [itex]\log_b\left(\frac{x}{y}\right)=\log_b(x)-\log_b(y)[/itex]

Verbally these say that the log of a product is equal to the sum of the logs of the factors, and that the log of a quotient equals the difference of the logs of the numerator and denominator.

There is also:

[itex]\log_b\left(a^x\right)=x\log_b(a)[/itex]

This says that a power inside of a log can be brought out front as a coefficient. A special case of this is when [itex]a=b[/itex]:

[itex]\log_b\left(b^x\right)=x\log_b(b)=x[/itex]

The last step is justified because [itex]\log_b(b)=1[/itex].

Finally we have the so-called "change of base" formula:

[tex]\log_a(x)=\frac{\log_b(x)}{\log_b(a)}[/tex]

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the post and for the explanation. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook