1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complete metric space can't have a countably infinite perfect space

1. Sep 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Let ##(X,d)## be a complete metric space. Prove that if ##P \subset X## is perfect, then P is not countably infinite.

3. The attempt at a solution.

Well, I couldn't think of a direct proof, I thought that in this case it may be easier to assume is countably infinite and arrive at an absurd conclusion but I have "technical"problems with my proof.

So, suppose P is countably infinite. Let's take an arbitrary ##x \in P## and denote it by ##x_1##. Let ##ε_1>0## and consider the ball ##B_1(x_1, ε_1)##. Now, P is perfect, so there must be at least one (in fact, infinite) ##x_2≠x_1## such that ##x_2## is in ##B_1##. Let r be the distance between ##x_1## and ##x_2## and consider the ball centered at ##x_2## of radius ##ε_2=r/2## and denoted by ##B_2##. Again, I can pick another element ##x_3## from ##B_2## because none of the elements of P are isolated. I take ##ε_3## to be r'/2 where r' is the distance between ##x_2## and ##x_3## and take the ball centered at ##x_3## of radius ##ε_3##. Keeping in this way, I construct the ball ##B_n## centered at ##x_n##, of radius ##ε_n=(d(x_{n-1}, x_n))/2##.
    Observe that P is a closed metric space in X, so P is also complete. The balls ##B_n## satisfy that ##B_{n+1}## ##\subset B_n##; to see this, take x in ##B_{n+1}## , then, ##d(x,x_n)≤d(x,x_{n+1}+d(x_{n+1},x_n)##... Well, in this part, I got totally stuck, I draw the picture of the balls and it is obvious that the ball B_n is contained in all the previous balls, but I don't know how to prove it formally. So, suppose I could prove that part, then we also have that the diameters of the balls ##δ(B_n)=2ε_n<2ε_1/2^{n-1}##, which tends to 0 when n→∞. Then I am under the hypothesis of Cantor's theorem, which says that given this conditions, there is an ##x \in## X such that for all ##ε>0## ##B_n(x_n,ε_n) \cap B(x,ε)≠0## ##\forall n##. Moreover, the exists ##n_0(ε)## such that ##B_n \subset B(x,ε)##. We can see that this means x must be in an accumulation point of P. Since P is perfect, x has to be in P.

I would love to say that x can't be in P by the way I constructed the balls but I'm not at all sure this is true. I think that I'm not going in the right way doing all these, but were the only ideas I got. Another idea I have is trying to construct a Cauchy sequence in P such that the limit of the sequence is not in P, but again, how can I construct the wanted sequence? Another thing I noticed is that in my previous attempt of a proof I really didn't use the fact that P is countably infinite, I just used the fact that P is infinite and perfect.

Can someone explain me another way of proving the statement or how could I improve this attempt of a proof?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?