1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complete metric space

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We say that two metrics d, d' on a space S are equivalent if each "dominates" the other in the following sense: there exist constants M, M'>0 such that
    d'(x,y)<=M' d(x,y) and d(x,y)<=M d'(x,y) for all x,y in S.

If metrics d, d' are equivalent, prove that (S,d) is complete<==>(S,d') is a complete metric space.

3. The attempt at a solution
    If (S,d) is complete then every Cauchy sequence in S converges to a limit in S. I want to go somewhere along the lines of saying that multiplying by a constant will not change its convergence.....am I going along the right lines here? I don't really know how else to go about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's do the => direction first. Take a cauchy sequence {x_n} in (S,d'). Is {x_n} cauchy in (S,d)?

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    I'm guessing it is yes. Because we have M' that we can multiply the sequence by?

5. Nov 24, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And, of course, a sequence convertes if and only if "given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist N such that ...

Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] in d', what does that tell you about [itex]\epsilon/M'[/itex] in d?

6. Nov 24, 2008 #5
    To finish the first part of your response, "there exists N such that..."
    is the end of that "n larger than N will be equal to some epsilon>0"?

For the second part, epsilon/M' will be some small value in d...?

7. Nov 24, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]d(x_n, L)< \epsilon[/tex] for all n> N, then [itex]d'(x_n,L)= M'\epsilon[/itex] and conversely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?