Complete metric space

• Thread starter Amok
  • Start date
Can someone help me understand the notion of complete metric space? I've read the definition (the one involving metrics that go to 0), but I can't really picture what it is. Does anyone have any examples that could help me understand this?

Answers and Replies

I'm not sure if there even is something you can picture. Completeness is simply a quite technical condition that has a lot of benifits. Intuitively, one can say that a space is complete if every sequence that should converge, also converges.
What is a sequence that should converge? Well a sequence who's terms lie closer and closer together. For example, the sequence (1/n) should converge, because the terms are closer and closer. But (n) does not converge, because the terms both have distance 1 from each other.

The space [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] is complete: every sequence that should converge converges, but [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] is incomplete, indeed a rational sequence that converges to [tex]\pi[/tex] does not converge in [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex].

But cam you show that a Hilbert space or a [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] space converges? Using the definition of distance, for example? Can you show that every Cauchy sequence in a certain space converges?

But cam you show that a Hilbert space or a [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] space converges? Using the definition of distance, for example?
What do you mean with "a Hilbert spaces converges"?

Can you show that every Cauchy sequence in a certain space converges?
Yes, one can show that for a lot of spaces, so it's certainly not an impossible condition to check. The only space for which it is really hard to check is for [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], but that's because the definition of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] is quite complicated...