Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complete newbie. need help with basics

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    I'm looking for a very basic book on physics,basically starting from scratch. I'm in college right now taking policing but I'm kind of having a change of heart. Any books geared towards marine engineering or navigation would be useful too.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'd simply suggest taking a physics class, that will be the best way to learn the basics. Any basic book on physics would be ok, though it really depends on what you're trying to learn. To USE physics requires learning lots of math and equations and such. To UNDERSTAND physics generally doesn't.

4. Dec 3, 2011 #3
    Thanks bro, I'm gonna call up the college and see if I can take evening classes in physics or calculus..Still looking for some books on basic physics or thermodynamics..

5. Dec 3, 2011 #4
    Serway's book is very good but might be a little too "advanced" if you didn't take physics/calc in highschool.

If you want to check out physics just sit in to a class, that way you don't have to pay for it. I would also study basic mechanics before attempting to look into thermodynamics. Also keep up with maths, that is the no.1 rule of success.

6. Dec 3, 2011 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If you've had very little math, I suggest Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics." It's a popular textbook for classes that (try to) teach physics with a minimum of math.

7. Dec 7, 2011 #6
    Thanks guys..I'll def check that book out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook