What Are Some Basic Books on Physics for a Newbie in College?

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources for learning physics, particularly for someone who has no background in the subject. The suggestion is to take a physics class, but also to look into basic mechanics before attempting thermodynamics. The book "Conceptual Physics" by Hewitt is recommended for those with minimal math background.
J-ho
I'm looking for a very basic book on physics,basically starting from scratch. I'm in college right now taking policing but I'm kind of having a change of heart. Any books geared towards marine engineering or navigation would be useful too.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd simply suggest taking a physics class, that will be the best way to learn the basics. Any basic book on physics would be ok, though it really depends on what you're trying to learn. To USE physics requires learning lots of math and equations and such. To UNDERSTAND physics generally doesn't.

Thanks bro, I'm going to call up the college and see if I can take evening classes in physics or calculus..Still looking for some books on basic physics or thermodynamics..

Serway's book is very good but might be a little too "advanced" if you didn't take physics/calc in high school.

If you want to check out physics just sit into a class, that way you don't have to pay for it. I would also study basic mechanics before attempting to look into thermodynamics. Also keep up with maths, that is the no.1 rule of success.

If you've had very little math, I suggest Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics." It's a popular textbook for classes that (try to) teach physics with a minimum of math.

Thanks guys..I'll def check that book out

1. What does it mean to be a "complete newbie" in science?

Being a "complete newbie" in science means that you have little to no prior knowledge or experience in the field. You may not have a background in science education or have not conducted any research before. This is completely normal and everyone starts as a newbie in any new subject.

2. What are the basics that a complete newbie should know in science?

The basics in science include understanding the scientific method, knowing how to conduct experiments and analyze data, and having a basic understanding of key concepts and theories in the specific field of science you are interested in.

3. How can I learn the basics of science as a complete newbie?

There are many ways to learn the basics of science as a complete newbie. You can take online courses, attend workshops or seminars, read books and articles, or even join a study group. It is important to find a learning method that works best for you and to actively engage in the learning process.

4. Are there any specific skills I should develop as a complete newbie in science?

Yes, some important skills to develop as a complete newbie in science include critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. These skills will not only help you understand and apply scientific concepts, but also make you a more effective scientist.

5. How long does it take to go from a complete newbie to a proficient scientist?

The time it takes to become a proficient scientist varies for each individual and depends on factors such as dedication, level of interest, and learning style. It is important to focus on continuous learning and improvement rather than a specific timeline.