What are factors and multiples?

In summary, factors and multiples are numbers that can be divided evenly into a given number. Factors of a number are all the numbers that divide evenly into it, while multiples are the product of a number and any other whole number. When finding factors, you must also include 1 as a factor, but when finding multiples, 1 is not included. Additionally, when finding multiples, 0 is included if the question asks for whole number multiples. The definitions and theorems in mathematics are very precise and there is no room for doubt or interpretation.
Edin_Dzeko
I'm learning Algebra (the basic and foundation of Math) 'cause I stink. Now I'm just doing some review from the beginning before I get into the tough stuff.

I'm a bit stumped on factors and multiples. I understand it but not clear enough. I couldn't give you a definition and if you asked a tricky enough question, I might get it wrong.

Can someone explain it?

What I understand:

If a question ask what are factors of 20, I'd give numbers that can be divided to 20 and get an even answer. So when I type in 20 in my calculator, and then the "/" the number that I put in after the "/" should give me an even number, if it does, then it's a factor. So ex, I'd go

Factors of 20: {1,2,4,5,10,20}

1x20 = 20
2x10 = 20
5x4 = 20

that's the reason why I wrote 1,2,4,5,10,20 up until I started studying this like today I always that when someone asked that question you'd just say 1,2,5,10,20 I would never have included the 4.

Multiples, based on the example the book I"m using gave, you simple just list the times tables for that specific number ex:

Multiples of 2 = {2,4,6,8,10,12,...}
the book didn't include 1 for the multiples but it did for the factors. So why is that we put 1 for factors and not multiples??

Lastly there was a question:
{y| y is a natural number multiple of 7}

the answer was {7,14,21...}

if it was "y is a WHOLE number multiple of 7" would the zero have been included??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Edin_Dzeko said:
If a question ask what are factors of 20, I'd give numbers that can be divided to 20 and get an even answer.

Factors of 20: {1,2,4,5,10,20}

This is the correct definition, assuming you mean "an answer that has no remainder" by "an even answer", and those are all the factors of 20.

up until I started studying this like today I always that when someone asked that question you'd just say 1,2,5,10,20 I would never have included the 4.

Why would you have not included the 4? It fits the exact definition you gave. Mathematics is very precise in this way; there is no leeway given over a definition that is not vague.

Multiples, based on the example the book I"m using gave, you simple just list the times tables for that specific number
That is also a good definition.

the book didn't include 1 for the multiples but it did for the factors. So why is that we put 1 for factors and not multiples??
It does not fit your definition. What position on the 2 times table does 1 occupy? In other words, which multiple of 2 is 1? The first multiple of 2 is 2 (1x2 = 2), the second multiple is 4 (2x2 = 4), and so on.

Lastly there was a question:
{y| y is a natural number multiple of 7}

the answer was {7,14,21...}

if it was "y is a WHOLE number multiple of 7" would the zero have been included??
Yes, 0 is a whole number, and 0*7 = 0. Turn to the definitions for justification.

It is impossible to determine the truth of any mathematical statement if it is not a definition, and thus defined to be true, or follows logically from a collection of definitions. If you find yourself doubting a result, you can only verify whether it is true or false by looking at the definitions or theorems that preceded it.

Thank you soooooooooooo much. I really appreciate this. big props :cool:

1. What is a "noob"?

A "noob" is a slang term used to describe someone who is a complete beginner or inexperienced in a particular subject or activity. In this context, it refers to someone who is new to a certain topic or field.

2. How can I become less of a "noob"?

The best way to become less of a "noob" is to gain knowledge and experience in the subject matter. This can be achieved through learning from others, practicing, and being open to feedback and constructive criticism.

3. Is it okay to be a "noob"?

Absolutely! Being a "noob" simply means you are new to something, and everyone has to start somewhere. Embrace the learning process and don't be afraid to ask questions or make mistakes.

4. How can I avoid being judged for being a "noob"?

It's important to remember that everyone was a "noob" at some point, so there's no need to feel embarrassed or ashamed. Surround yourself with supportive and understanding individuals who are willing to help and guide you along your learning journey.

5. Can being a "noob" be a positive thing?

Absolutely! Being a "noob" means you have a fresh perspective and are open to learning and trying new things. It can also serve as motivation to improve and become more knowledgeable in a particular subject.