Can you find the solution with this additional property?

In summary: A[9, 11] = .061803? (Numbering from [0,0]; from [1,1] that would be A[10,12] = .061803BicycleTree - sorry try againPerhaps:A(9, 11) = 1/18Perhaps:A(9, 11) = 1/18Sorry - wrong againMaybe:A(9, 11) = .06867A[r,c] = \left(\begin{array}{cccccc} \frac{1}{2}\multsp \left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&-&-&-&-&...\\ \frac
AntonVrba
[tex]
A[r,c] = \left(\begin{array}{cccccc}
\frac{1}{2}\multsp \left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&-&-&-&-&...\\
\frac{1}{4}\multsp \left(2+{\sqrt{8}}\right)&\frac{1}{4}\multsp
\left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&-&-&-&...\\
\frac{1}{6}\multsp \left(3+{\sqrt{13}}\right)&-&\frac{1}{6}\multsp
\left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&-&-&... \\
\frac{1}{8}\multsp \left(4+{\sqrt{20}}\right)&-&-&\frac{1}{8}\multsp
\left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&-&... \\
\frac{1}{10}\multsp
\left(5+{\sqrt{29}}\right)&-&-&-&\frac{1}{10}\multsp \left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&...\\
...&...&...&...&...&...
\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

How often have we solved linear series, how about a two dimensional series array

Can you complete the matrix?

Once you have it, instead of white just give the answer as a decimal number for say A[9,11] or any other pair

The answer is suprisingly simple :biggrin:

Edit-1
:biggrin: To note is that each induvidual row or column also forms its own logical arithmic series :biggrin:

Edit-2
BicycleTree said:
The formula I got is:
A(r, c) = 1/(2*r)*(r-c+1+sqrt((r-c+2)^2-2(r-c)+1))
That matches the values you've given.
OOPS - redface shame etc :redface:

It is not the solution I had in mind - so you are correct. The solution I had in mind has a further property

[tex]\frac {A[r,c]}{A[n.r,n.c]} = n [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A[9, 11] = .061803? (Numbering from [0,0]; from [1,1] that would be A[10,12] = .061803

BicycleTree - sorry try again

Perhaps:
A(9, 11) = 1/18

BicycleTree said:
Perhaps:
A(9, 11) = 1/18
Sorry - wrong again

Maybe
A(9, 11) = .06867

Last edited:
[tex]A[r,c] = \left(\begin{array}{cccccc} \frac{1}{2}\multsp \left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&-&-&-&-&...\\ \frac{1}{4}\multsp \left(2+{\sqrt{8}}\right)&\frac{1}{4}\multsp \left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&-&-&-&...\\ \frac{1}{6}\multsp \left(3+{\sqrt{13}}\right)&-&\frac{1}{6}\multsp \left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&-&-&... \\ \frac{1}{8}\multsp \left(4+{\sqrt{20}}\right)&-&-&\frac{1}{8}\multsp \left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&-&... \\ \frac{1}{10}\multsp \left(5+{\sqrt{29}}\right)&-&-&-&\frac{1}{10}\multsp \left(1+{\sqrt{5}}\right)&...\\...&...&...&...&...&... \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Is it,
A(11, 13)=O.6867?

my first guess:

A(3,2) = 0.80473...

marcus said:
my first guess:

A(3,2) = 0.80473...

Ahh! I see that my proposal is the same as bicycle tree gave in post #6, just two posts back.

I would also say, like bicycle tree, that

A(9,11) = 0.0.06867...

so he and I must be using the same formula for the general term A(r,c)

Folks, none of the proposed answers match my series - either there are two solutions which would surprise me. So let's check marcus' or bicycletree's solution.

For the answers to be correct, :biggrin: each induvidual row or column also forms its own logical arithmic series :biggrin: .

The formula I got is:

BicycleTree said:
The formula I got is:
OOPS - redface shame etc :redface:

It is not the solution I had in mind - so you are correct. The solution I had in mind has a further property

[tex]\frac {A[r,c]}{A[n.r,n.c]} = n [/tex]

1. What is the purpose of the "Complete the Array Series"?

The purpose of the "Complete the Array Series" is to provide a set of coding challenges that involve manipulating arrays to improve problem-solving and programming skills.

2. How many challenges are included in the "Complete the Array Series"?

There are a total of 10 challenges included in the "Complete the Array Series".

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to complete the challenges in the "Complete the Array Series"?

Some basic knowledge of programming concepts and familiarity with arrays is recommended, but the challenges are designed to be suitable for a range of skill levels.

4. Are the solutions to the challenges provided?

Yes, the solutions to each challenge are provided for reference and learning purposes. However, it is recommended to try solving the challenges on your own before referring to the solutions.

5. Can I use any programming language to complete the challenges in the "Complete the Array Series"?

Yes, the challenges can be completed using any programming language that supports arrays. However, the examples and solutions provided may be in a specific programming language.