• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Complete theromodynamics book?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have used Shroeder's Intro to Thermal Physics but found it a bit non rigorous and uncomplete. It tries to cover every aspect of thermal physics in a non detail fashion. Does anyone know of any good thermodynamics book that covers the thermodymaics very completely and clearly?

Answers and Replies

My suggestions would be either Kittel and Kroemer's Thermal Physics or Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics.

marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I second these recommendations.

My suggestions would be either Kittel and Kroemer's Thermal Physics or Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics.
The former looks a bit old with notations that seem too old and students these days not used to them.

Kittel/Kroemer looks old-fashioned compared to Reif?! :bugeye: My next suggestion would be Landau and Lifsh*tz's Statistical Physics part 1, but we're rapidly moving out of undergraduate territory and firmly into graduate territory.

Also, can you specify whether you want a thermodynamics book, a thermal physics book, or a statistical mechanics book? I know they sound like they're all the same thing, but there are subtle differences. My first two suggestions were for thermal physics, but I have some different suggestions if you're looking for thermodynamics.

Kittel/Kroemer looks old-fashioned compared to Reif?! :bugeye: My next suggestion would be Landau and Lifsh*tz's Statistical Physics part 1, but we're rapidly moving out of undergraduate territory and firmly into graduate territory.

Also, can you specify whether you want a thermodynamics book, a thermal physics book, or a statistical mechanics book? I know they sound like they're all the same thing, but there are subtle differences. My first two suggestions were for thermal physics, but I have some different suggestions if you're looking for thermodynamics.
Now having seen Reif, they both seem old fashioned. I am looking for an indepth thermodynamics book with newish notations.

marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmm, I'm not sure what new notations are. The notations used in the books, as well as in current papers on, e.g., non-equilibrium statistical mechanics, are pretty much unchanged from the days of Boltzmann and Gibbs.

For thermodynamics, I would recommend Adkins' Equilibrium Thermodynamics. Another book that has been mentioned in a different thread in this forum is Kestin's A Course in Thermodynamics. The classic introductory text is Zemansky's Heat and Thermodynamics, but it's probably not as modern as you would like.