1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completely inelastic collision

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is it true that a completely inelastic collision can be elastic (i.e. KE could be conserved) such as when you fire a gun at a metal ball at rest and the bullet and the metal ball stick togethor? Isn't completely inelastic somewhat of a misnomer since it implies that the collision is not elastic?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No. What makes think KE is conserved in that situation? Do the calculation and find out for yourself.

Well, it's not elastic--they stick together! KE is not conserved.

4. Oct 6, 2007 #3
    Why does the fact that they stick togethor require that KE is not conserved?

5. Oct 6, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Just do the calculation! Use conservation of momentum:

[tex]m_1\vec{v}_1 + m_2\vec{v}_2 = (m_1 + m_2)\vec{v}_f[/tex]

Then compare initial and final KE. Keep it simple if you like, let v_2 = 0 and assume that all motion takes place along a single dimension.

6. Oct 6, 2007 #5
    OK. I did the calculation and I see that KE gets lost. But, in general, in a closed system, energy must be conserved, so that KE gets transformed to the energy in chemical bonds that holds the two units together, correct?

7. Oct 6, 2007 #6

Doc Al

When we say KE is "lost" we are talking about macroscopic translational KE. Of course, that energy isn't really lost--it's transformed mainly into thermal energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?