Calculating Heat Dissipation in a 100-W Lightbulb with 3.2cm Glass Bulb

• Thread starter npr2036
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the 100-W lightbulb generates 95 W of heat, which is dissipated through a glass bulb with a radius of 3.2cm and a thickness of 0.60mm. To find the difference in temperature between the inner and outer surfaces of the glass, you would need to know the thermal conductivity of the glass, which is 0.84 J/(s*m*C). From there, you would use the temperature difference, dimensions of the glass bulb, and glass thickness to calculate the rate of heat flow through the glass.
npr2036
A 100-W lightbulb generates 95 W of heat, which is dissipated through a glass bulb that has a radius of 3.2cm and is 0.60mm thick.

What is the difference in temperature between the inner and outer surfaces of the glass?

i am completely lost and need help

Physics news on Phys.org
npr2036 said:
A 100-W lightbulb generates 95 W of heat, which is dissipated through a glass bulb that has a radius of 3.2cm and is 0.60mm thick.

What is the difference in temperature between the inner and outer surfaces of the glass?

i am completely lost and need help

You need to know the thermal conductivity of the glass.

the thermal conductivity of glass is 0.84 J/(s*m*C)

what do i do with this

npr2036 said:
the thermal conductivity of glass is 0.84 J/(s*m*C)

what do i do with this
Suppose you knew the temperature difference, the dimensions of the glass bulb and the glass thickness. How would you use that to find the rate of heat flow through the glass?

I would first start by calculating the surface area of the glass bulb using its radius and thickness. This will give us the total area through which the heat can be dissipated.

Next, I would use the formula Q=UAΔT, where Q is the heat dissipation rate, U is the heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the inner and outer surfaces. We already know Q (95 W) and A (calculated in the previous step) and we can assume a typical heat transfer coefficient for glass (U=5 W/m^2K).

Rearranging the formula to solve for ΔT, we get ΔT=Q/(UA). Plugging in the values, we get ΔT=95/(5*0.00192)= 98750 K.

This means that the temperature difference between the inner and outer surfaces of the glass bulb is 98.75 °C. This temperature difference is necessary for the heat to be dissipated from the bulb to the surrounding environment.

1. What does "completely lost" mean?

"Completely lost" refers to feeling completely unsure or confused about one's current location, situation, or direction.

2. How do people typically feel when they are completely lost?

People may feel anxious, frustrated, scared, or disoriented when they are completely lost.

3. What can cause someone to become completely lost?

There are many factors that can contribute to someone becoming completely lost, including poor navigational skills, unfamiliar surroundings, and unexpected changes or obstacles in their environment.

4. What should someone do if they find themselves completely lost?

If you are completely lost, the first thing to do is to try to remain calm and assess your situation. Look for any familiar landmarks or signs that can help you determine your location. If possible, try to retrace your steps or ask for help from someone nearby.

5. How can someone prevent getting completely lost?

To prevent getting completely lost, it is important to have good navigational skills and be aware of your surroundings. Carry a map or use a GPS device if you are in an unfamiliar place. It can also be helpful to let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return, so they can help locate you if needed.