Completely stable nucleus question

In summary, the question asks about the stability of a nucleus that contains 2 protons and 1 neutron. After calculating the magnitudes of the electrostatic force and gravitational attraction between the protons, it is concluded that the electrostatic force is stronger. This raises questions about the forces holding the nucleus together, the meaning of "completely stable," and the role of the single neutron. It is suggested that there must be another force involved in stabilizing the nucleus.
Sigma Rho
"completely stable nucleus" question

The nucleus of a helium isotope contains 2 protons. I have just worked out the magnitudes of the electrostatic force and the gravitational attraction between the 2 protons.

The question now reads "the nucleus is completely stable. Considering the magnitudes of the forces [the previous questions], what conclusions can you draw about the forces that are holding the nucleus together?"

My initial thoughts on reading the question before doing the math was that the forces would turn out to be equal, otherwise the nucleus would fall apart. I then realized that the electostatic force is always much more powerful than the gravitational one, which was the case when I worked out the magnitudes.

So, that leaves me wondering...
1. Why isn't the nucleus ripped apart, as the forces pulling it apart are many times stronger than the ones holding it together?
2. What exactly does "completely stable" mean?
3. What conclusions can be drawn from the magnitudes of the forces?
4. The question also mentions that there is a single neutron in the nucleus - does this have anything to do with it?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
2. It means that the atom won't decay into individual protons and electrons and neutrons.

1/3. There clearly must be another force!

4. Yup.

cookiemonster

Shouldn't there be two neutrons? I didn't think that only one could provide a stable nuclear environment.

turin said:
Shouldn't there be two neutrons? I didn't think that only one could provide a stable nuclear environment.

The question says just one! Thanks for the answers guys, most helpful.

What is a completely stable nucleus?

A completely stable nucleus is a nucleus that does not undergo any radioactive decay and remains unchanged over time. This means that the nucleus does not emit any particles or energy and is not affected by external forces.

How is the stability of a nucleus determined?

The stability of a nucleus is determined by the balance between the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus together, and the electromagnetic force, which can cause it to break apart. If the strong force is stronger than the electromagnetic force, the nucleus is considered stable.

What is the difference between a stable and an unstable nucleus?

A stable nucleus does not undergo any radioactive decay and remains unchanged, while an unstable nucleus has an imbalance of forces and will eventually decay into a more stable form.

Can a stable nucleus become unstable?

In some cases, a stable nucleus can become unstable due to external factors such as high temperatures or extreme pressures. This can cause the nucleus to break apart or undergo nuclear reactions.

Why is the stability of a nucleus important?

The stability of a nucleus is important because it determines the overall stability of an atom and its ability to exist in a certain state. It also plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions and the production of elements in the universe.